cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi cutting out

LauraReis49
Joining in

I’ve had virgin for a few months and it’s constantly cutting out during the day, multiple times a day. 

I have tried turning it on and off but it doesn’t help. When eventually get ahold of someone from virgin they get me to completely reboot my router which of course kicks off all my devices, changes the WiFi name and password back to factory setting too, which I wouldn’t mind doing if it worked, but it doesn’t. 

It’s 11am and I’ve been cut off 4 times! WiFi just cuts off for 3-4 minutes and comes back on. 

surely there has to be a way to fix this? I work from home and it’s really impacting my work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there,

so I have tried with the cable into my laptop this afternoon and it never cut off once, it was great. 

this morning though when it was cutting off again I checked and it was a solid green light on my box. The box is downstairs and I work upstairs but it has happened when I’ve been streaming on my telly and the WiFi again just cuts out. There is no consistency as when it cuts out just does and then after a few mins it comes back. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As its a wifi only issue .... see this....

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are only free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not… you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

--------------------
John
--------------------