Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

WiFi constantly dropping out

Hi

I have been having serious problems with my broadband connection for several weeks now. It regularly drops out, with the display reverting to the green light and flashing symbols. Connection is lost regularly (several dozen times a day), and often takes 15-20mins to return. I’m a key worker working from home and it’s seriously impacting my ability to work. I’ve tried restarting, rebooting, and virgin even delivered a new router but this hasn’t made any difference - if anything the problem has increased in frequency. The service check on the VirginMedia app says no issues in my area (21), and I can’t get through to anyone to discuss on the phone. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi constantly dropping out

I've been having the exact same issue for the past 2 to 3 weeks. Can't get through to anyone on the phone. Had one virgin worker message me on the forums then he disappeared and no longer replies. 

At this point im just looking for virgin to acknowledge the issue and tell me someone is trying to fix it. It's definitely a wider network issue on Virgins side as many areas seem to be affected even though the website says otherwise

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked for “known network faults”?

As well as trying the “check service,” weblink (at the top of this forum board), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Service Status web page) - that may give you more info.

If nothing shows on there try calling it in as a fault (on 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 others) and see what they say when they test your connection and if possible, get a fault reference number. After all, if customers don’t report faults, VM don’t know about them.

Be patient as all overseas call centres are now in lock-down – so best chance of getting the open UK one is calling at 08.00 midweek.

Or, a VM Tech should pick this thread up as soon as they see it and be able to help - as many are now working from home on here.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

All service status pages show no faults in my area. Phoning 150 used to give me a automatic message that there was a fault in my area but the message is no longer there for the past 2 weeks so I assume they think they've 'fixed' the issue. I'll try getting through to the UK call center

The issue is with my whole street. I appreciate the difficulty of the situation due to Corona but it's kind of shocking that Virgin could allow 3 weeks of no to poor internet for so many people around the country.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have the same area code (21) and have been going through the exact same issues. (Right now, I don't have Wifi.) I asked for help about a week ago on the forum (after trying everything and failing to reach the call centre) and one of the forum team members wrote the following to me: "There is an open outage ticket (remedy number: F007924774) which is for high utilisation. This means that the bb will not be 100% as fast until the ticket is closed. The estimated fix date is 29th april 13:45. However, as usual with all outage tickets they are usually resolved a lot sooner than this." 

So, no good news but at least you may stop running tests, etc. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM's Area's are geographically meaningless - they refer to "billing areas". I am in Area 20 in Manchester - as are others in London, Bristol, Surrey & Sussex. So dont assume you have the same issues.

Also, Asharif, did you call the number I posted ? You said you called 150 - that's not the same unless you spoke to a VM person?

If its "just" the whole street it may just be a single street cabint and it wont be on any "Area website" - unless your street is a few hundred miles long 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I just called it and the machine said there was a known fault in my area. Same message as when I phoned 150 2 weeks ago. 

Is it really going to be a month with the fault going unfixed....! 

Btw thank you for your replies its really appreciated 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@idavidwilson wrote:

Hi

I have been having serious problems with my broadband connection for several weeks now. It regularly drops out, with the display reverting to the green light and flashing symbols. Connection is lost regularly (several dozen times a day), and often takes 15-20mins to return. I’m a key worker working from home and it’s seriously impacting my ability to work. I’ve tried restarting, rebooting, and virgin even delivered a new router but this hasn’t made any difference - if anything the problem has increased in frequency. The service check on the VirginMedia app says no issues in my area (21), and I can’t get through to anyone to discuss on the phone. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

@idavidwilson  Your OP seems to be getting overlooked - with responses to others who have joined in.  Has it sorted itself out?  If not, do a quick check that all of your coax connections are in nice and "finger" tight at the Hub and wall box and at any splitters/attenuators/etc with no “unterminated loose ends, and that the internal wiring is ok with no kinking or chaffing.  Also check that all looks good with the outside cabling and wall box. 

As well as trying the “check service,” weblink (at the top of this forum board), there is also a Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually tells you of more local issues down to postcode level (that may not be listed on the Service Status web page) - that may give you more info. 

Then do a pinhole reset of the Hub. 

A pinhole reset on a Hub3 can be a bit problematic - so do it EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible or you may be stuffed !  With the Hub "on" disconnect any ethernet connections and push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT restart the Hub after that.  Leave it 5' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card.  Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings one to access the Hub

See if that helps - then report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John for the  advice. I actually managed to speak to someone yesterday morning and then later in the day received a text from Virgin to say the network fault has been fixed. Seems to be working fine so far...fingers crossed. Really appreciate the advice though. Hope others get their problems fixed soon.

0 Kudos