cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connectivity

yosithi
Joining in

I keep suffering random WiFi connection drops, especially at evening. And it's becoming more frequent. We have approximately 8 devices connected at any one time, from Android TV, tablets and phones, Amazon echos/show. Seems to have become more apparent in the last week or so. Any ideas? Tried the usual Daddy Pig solution (turn off and on) to no avail. Seems less problematic during daytime. It's a Hub 2 and most devices connected on 2ghz band. Hard wired devices (i.e. ethernet direct connection) appear to be working Ok. Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Connect it this way...

Set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
The fix is to get your own WiFI router with 1Gb ports and use hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice - will investigate that route (no pun intended).
Shame you pay for a service and the provided kit is not up to spec.

The hub 2 is quite an old device now up to todays technology so its only logical that its not as capable.

I get what you mean though, I had until recently a 7 Yr old tivo box, that VM wouldn't upgrade for me. When the thing doesn't support modern features like 4k, HDR, Dolby Atmos, why the hell would I use it? I just got rid of the TV package instead and use Freeview/netflix instead.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As you have the older SuperHub 2, you may get a free upgrade to the newer Hub 3 or 4.  Worth phoning retentions and see. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the advice (that goes to everyone) 🙂
Will be phoning VM tomorrow to see what upgrades I can get as well as pursuing the new router option (there are some decent offers on Amazon at the mo)

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @yosithi

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues, have you spoken to our team as of yet?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Travis_M

I phoned suppport qith a query last night, having lost connectivity several times whilst < 8 feet away from the modem (on checking its actually a hub 3 and not hub 2 as previously stated). They ran diagnostics but couldn't find any issues. I ran a Wifi analyzer at the time and did notice a number of other access points from neighbours - maybe there's a lot around me nowadays??
On reading other posts, I have purchased an AX1800 Dual Band Wifi 6 router - yet to install - to see if this remedies my issues somewhat. I monitor and wait til I get the time to focus on the install.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Connect it this way...

Set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it. Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the headsup on that one. Much appreciated.