cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connection

Darran71
Joining in

Every couple of days my devices disconnect from the WiFi, I have to reboot the hub to get them to connect again. This has started to happen since they did work in the area a few weeks back. Anything connected via ethernet cable are fine but all devices via WiFi disconnect. I've have run tests using the app and when this happens it can't even find the hub..any suggestions please. Paying too much to I have to keep rebooting

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As its a wifi only issue - see this...

On a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you. VM Wifi is now “guaranteed” to 20 Mbps/room and it’s now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

If you do want to invest in better equipment, you would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

How will a WiFi pod work though when I lose all WiFi until I reboot hub?

Hi Darran71, 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post here in the forums. I'm sorry to hear you're having an issue with your WiFi connection. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

> Out in the open

> Next to the TV not behind it

> Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)

> Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

> Away from microwaves

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here.

We have also just launched our WiFi Max service which guarantees a speed of 20MB in each room or you'll get a £100 bill credit. You can view more on that here

If after going through the self-checks, you still need some help, feel free to pop back to us here so we can help further. Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs