Menu
Lawikekurd2010
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

WiFi connection randomly interrupting

My WiFi (wireless) connection has been randomly interrupting for a least a week. I was connecting my main desktop with a USB adapter and I started having random connection drops, so I now have connected my desktop computer using an ethernet cable and it works without a problem, but my other devices that rely on wireless connectivity such as smartphone(s) and laptop are randomly disconnecting from the internet.

I'm in urgent need of help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi connection randomly interrupting

You dont say what Hub model you have?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lawikekurd2010
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well here's the information on the hub;

Hub 3.0
VMDG505/TG2492LG-VM
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - a Hub3 then.  If you havent dont this already this helps sort quite a few wifi issues and should be tried first.   Go into the Hub3 settings (go to http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 in your browser) and in "smart wifi" disable the "channel optimisation".  Then, in advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them - e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) use the same password  if you like,  Then, save settings and restart Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated and you can then select the network you want to connect to, individually on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference than the more "crowded" 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range".  See if that helps.   If you have done this or it doesnt help - post back.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Lawikekurd2010
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do I have to set both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz to 'broadcast'? The 2.4 one was unselected but 5 one was selected, so I enabled broadcast on 2.4 as well. Am I correct doing this?

Also to restart the hub do I select the 'reload and reboot' menu and from there click on 'reboot'?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes if you want both networks broadcasting.. Its a good idea as some older/cheaper hardware can only connect on 2.4.  5 is subject to less interference but has a "shorter" range.  V6 boxes are best connected on the 5 if possible (if not able to be by cable that is)

--------------------
0 Kudos
Lawikekurd2010
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you're 100% right. My laptop is only able to use 2.4, so broadcasting that range of frequency enables WiFi and I'm able to use it on it.

I'm on ethernet on my desktop, the ethernet internet's name is unchanged although I modified the names, I guess I only modified wireless network names, perhaps that's the reason it remains unchanged, but it isn't a problem so it's ok.

Everything appears to be working smoothly. Thank you for helping me out, for responding to my queries swiftly.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Lawikekurd2010 wrote:

Yes, you're 100% right. My laptop is only able to use 2.4, so broadcasting that range of frequency enables WiFi and I'm able to use it on it.

I'm on ethernet on my desktop, the ethernet internet's name is unchanged although I modified the names, I guess I only modified wireless network names, perhaps that's the reason it remains unchanged, but it isn't a problem so it's ok.

Everything appears to be working smoothly. Thank you for helping me out, for responding to my queries swiftly.

Excellent - glad you are sorted (fingers crossed!).  Yes it was the wifi channel's names you changed not the connection you get via cable.

--------------------
0 Kudos