cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connection is bad, advise on getting a new router please

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

I'm really struggling with my WiFi, devices are constantly disconnecting and laggy Internet. I decided to analyse the channels that my neighbours are on to see if I could pick a better channel but the results tell me to select something like 149+ but I don't seem to be able to do that from the admin area.

I searched on this forum and someone recommended that you switch the router to modem mode and get a new router, but I don't know which one to buy so any advice would be appreciated. 

I've attached a screenshot of the channel analysis in case that helps, please let me know if there is anything else I can do as it's driving me bonkers.

Thank you

Screenshot_2022-04-16-13-03-38-134_com.farproc.wifi.analyzer.jpg

Screenshot_2022-04-16-13-03-44-480_com.farproc.wifi.analyzer.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

@cje85 wrote:

Also the app you're using seems to be ignoring channel 48-64 and 100 onwards which should be available on the VM hub and are worth trying. 

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 12.03.30.png

Ok I think I managed to find some better channels - I've set this based on the channel analysis I did (screenshot on another post) so hopefully this will help!

@Rach-wal wrote:

ok - I managed to find a different tool that allows me to see the other networks nearby, it doesn't show a graph but lists the channels...

You can see the ticked ones are the ones I'm connected to, maybe this helps? Sorry I'm not sure what I'm doing here 😄

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 11.39.22-min.png

From that analyser result I can’t see a problem - no issues with channels or neighbours.

You are apparently using two channels on 2.4GHz - the hub and an ‘extender’ or whatever (6 & 11).  Those and Ch 44 on 5GHz that you were using are fine - nothing apparently affecting them.

It’s useful to repeat the scan in different parts of the house - the ‘picture’ can be very different near the hub vs in a distant upstairs room that’s nearer your neighbours for example.

An analyser won’t necessarily pick up everything such as baby monitors however.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

I'm still having trouble, any help you could give would be appreciated

Hi @Rach-wal,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear that you're continuing to face some Wi-Fi connection issues. I've checked on our systems and I'm unable to detect any faults on the line currently to explain this. Is this problem ongoing for you today? If so, can you confirm what checks and diagnostics you've performed thus far in an effort to remedy this?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!