cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connection is bad, advise on getting a new router please

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

I'm really struggling with my WiFi, devices are constantly disconnecting and laggy Internet. I decided to analyse the channels that my neighbours are on to see if I could pick a better channel but the results tell me to select something like 149+ but I don't seem to be able to do that from the admin area.

I searched on this forum and someone recommended that you switch the router to modem mode and get a new router, but I don't know which one to buy so any advice would be appreciated. 

I've attached a screenshot of the channel analysis in case that helps, please let me know if there is anything else I can do as it's driving me bonkers.

Thank you

Screenshot_2022-04-16-13-03-38-134_com.farproc.wifi.analyzer.jpg

Screenshot_2022-04-16-13-03-44-480_com.farproc.wifi.analyzer.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this post I made some time ago... should get you started

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing for getting speeds over 600 mbps on wifi.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router (TP-Link Archer C6) but 'may' not on its own solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

cje85
Trouble shooter

Also the app you're using seems to be ignoring channel 48-64 and 100 onwards which should be available on the VM hub and are worth trying. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

I’m not sure if the VM hubs do channels 149 and above - they are in a frequency band that was only relatively recently allowed by Ofcom in UK, and not in EU (from memory).

As mentioned there’s another block of channels worth looking at.

Some more details/screenshots/graphs off that analyser app would be useful.  Or try another app with graphs.

Check if  DFS channels is enabled and use it.

I’m a bit surprised if all those 5GHz channels are occupied - what type of property is this - block of flats?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rach-wal

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Sorry to hear about the issues with your broadband, please do try the above suggestions and keep us updated how you get on so we can investigate further.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

ok - I managed to find a different tool that allows me to see the other networks nearby, it doesn't show a graph but lists the channels...

You can see the ticked ones are the ones I'm connected to, maybe this helps? Sorry I'm not sure what I'm doing here 😄

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 11.39.22-min.png

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

@g0akc wrote:

I’m not sure if the VM hubs do channels 149 and above - they are in a frequency band that was only relatively recently allowed by Ofcom in UK, and not in EU (from memory).

As mentioned there’s another block of channels worth looking at.

Some more details/screenshots/graphs off that analyser app would be useful.  Or try another app with graphs.

Check if  DFS channels is enabled and use it.

I’m a bit surprised if all those 5GHz channels are occupied - what type of property is this - block of flats?

ok - I managed to find a different tool that allows me to see the other networks nearby, it doesn't show a graph but lists the channels...

You can see the ticked ones are the ones I'm connected to, maybe this helps? Sorry I'm not sure what I'm doing here 😄

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 11.39.22-min.png

@jbrennand wrote:

Sorry I tried to reply to this a few times, but things seem to vanish, aghh! Sorry if you get a reply more than once.

I live in a 3 bed detached house, with brick walls, so similar to your friends... also mid range budget would be ideal. I've got gaming kids, plus myself on PS4 (kids on Switch and Xbox), plus I WFH and have Teams calls a lot of the day, and have kids/husband on phones on youtube/netflix etc and some TV's with FireTV sticks... so quite a few devices connected 😫

I looked at the solution you mentioned (https://www.screwfix.com/p/tp-link-deco-m5-3-pack-ac1300-dual-band-whole-home-mesh-wi-fi/956FR?)

It looks good, I'm not overly tecchie, I get by, but infrastructure isn't my strong point. If I bought that one on the link above, I'd imagine that I'd do the following:

• plug one device in to the current router
  • switch the current router to modem mode
  • put the other two devices in different spots around the house

Sorry for the silly question(s), but do the other 2 devices just need power, or would they need ethernet connections (wired from router to the room they are going to)? What do you mean by needing a switch?

Rach-wal
On our wavelength

@legacy1 wrote:
A good start would be
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

This looks really good, what is the benefit of one big router vs a mesh type suggestion?