cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connection dropping regularly

SteveGill
Dialled in

The WiFi connection to my wife's office regularly drops and then refuses to connect until she reboots her PC.
The PC is approximately 3m from the Hub3 but it is on the floor above - wooden floor and supports - and regularly shows on the Hub network diagnostics as being too far away. 
Does the Hub3 struggle with devices on a different level?

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM do not guarantee wifi speeds for this reason.  What works in one property may not work in another. 

If you need good wifi I would suggest you invest in a decent Mesh system, or run a cable from the office to the Hub.  Don't forget ethernet cables can be run outside, so don't have to be routed internally.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cheers,
I'm already intending to run a cable up there but the odd thing is it worked fine for the last two years and it's only recently that the dropouts have occurred with no changes to any of the equipment involved.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @SteveGill

Welcome back to the forums & thank you for taking the time to post. 

I have manage to run some diagnostic from here & I can't see anything out of the ordinary, do you have any other devices that these drops are effecting? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Hi Zak,

It has occasionally happened on her work laptop and tablet but not as often as on the PC. Most often it seems to happen on a video call (mostly Zoom I believe).

Cheers,
Steve

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SteveGill,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm sorry that you're still experiencing some occasional issues with your connection.

I was able to run some further checks on our system and I can see that your upstream and downstream power levels are out of spec. This could be causing some issues on your connection. I'll be more than happy to investigate this further for you.

I will send you a Private Message to discuss this further, so please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SteveGill,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your ongoing intermittent connection issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SteveGill,

Thank you for coming back to me and confirming that you're happy with the appointment date! 🙂
Please keep us updated on how your visits gets on and if you need any further assistance going forward. We're happy to help!

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team