cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connection dropping daily

ryancatlow
Joining in

The virgin WiFi connection drops daily for no reason and then eventually comes back on. It happens all over the house and the signal is weak - even in the room directly above the router. I work from home and have 5 x kids streaming on YouTube and online games etc. I have repeatedly tried all the advice virgin provides online / over the phone and have run loads of diagnostic tests and hub resets. Nothing stops the daily intermittent drop in signal. Not helpful when on calls or when trying to stream TV.  Also have iPhone saying the security is weak - would this be anything to do with it? All I get is that they have tested the line and it is working perfectly fine. Any advice please?

Also the ‘white’ light on the hub 3 looks more orange….is that normal? I feel like I should have stuck with sky broadband……

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First the iPhone security thing - look at the pink sticky thread at the top of this board titled ""iOS14 weak security" !

Then, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What is the Hub base light showing/doing when this happens - does it "flash at all?

Then is the wifi fine when you are in close proximity to the Hub and deteriorates further away?

If so it sounds like it is just a wifi issue. If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them to everyone now so there is a wait list. And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

fordxman5
Joining in
same here, engineer replaced router but still same problem
all lines tested but no problem seen

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First the iPhone security thing - look at the pink sticky thread at the top of this board titled ""iOS14 weak security" !

Then, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What is the Hub base light showing/doing when this happens - does it "flash at all?

Then is the wifi fine when you are in close proximity to the Hub and deteriorates further away?

If so it sounds like it is just a wifi issue. If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to “some customers” but most will be charged £5/month and right now they dont have enough supplies to provide them to everyone now so there is a wait list. And at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you John. I have sorted out the ios14 issue.

We only have the virgin tv box on Ethernet connection. Everything else is on WiFi. On demand/catch up works ok - it’s just WiFi that drops. Just run a scan on virgin media connect as was dropping on a call. It can’t connect to hub from conservatory or in the living room sat right in front of the hub. No obvious changes in lights on front of the hub whilst the drop was happening. 

We have a tp link upstairs to boost signal but it doesn’t seem strong enough. We previously tried Tenda ac100 whole home mesh WiFi system but that wasn’t great and stopped working.  We are on a waiting list for a pod. 

I’ll give it a go separating the SSIDs. But is there something better we can buy that would improve WiFi performance throughout the whole house and give more stable WiFi?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What TP-Link gizmo is upstairs?

Yes - there are lots of options but the TP-Link Deco/M4/M5/M9 mesh systems are well regarded on here.
As is connecting a wireless access point(s) directly to the Hub by ethernet cable(s) and ppositioning it/them where you have the dead spots - look at Netgear, Asus and for pro-users the Ubiquiti range.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Thanks again. The tp link is just a range extender (ac750). 

I’ll have a look at the tp-link deco mesh systems. 
thank you. 

Ryan 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just make sure any you get has 1GB ethernet ports (the M's do) as some dont and only have 10/100 ones and so can never exceed 100mbps.

And there is "sequence" to be followed for connecting them to the Hub - check back here if you get that far 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------