cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi- connected but no internet

Weirgo
Tuning in

Hi,

Having an issue with some wireless devices saying they are connected but have no internet access whilst having a mostly full signal. for instance, my phone and pc will both be on wifi in the same room, but my pc will say no internet access whilst my phone is working. I have run a cable through my house and switched my PC to a wired connection and this no longer has any issues, but any wifi devices randomly drop onto connected but no internet daily and this is only fixed by resetting the wifi connection.

I have spoken to customer services but every time the operator tries a few things then pass me to a new operator and I have to start all over again asking me to reset it and try wired connections etc which is driving me crazy.

I have used the online test and no issues where found, I have also factory reset the router but this made no difference.

Could it be my hub is faulty? 

9 REPLIES 9

Boosh
On our wavelength

I had the same issue since Sunday night and made my own thread on this forum about how aggrieved I was (https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Internet-down-since-late-Sunday-still-down-...).

After I rang VM up and complained my Internet magically came back online a few hours later after waiting for 3 days.

What lights are shown on your hub? If you see flashing green arrows with a solid white light at the base of the hub, then it's a VM issue....

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a pin hole reset of the hub, it’s been known to fix this type of problem, not guaranteed of course. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi there

I don't have any lights apart from the dash at the bottom (hub 3). I can be on WiFi on one device and the other is connected but no internet. Trying to deal with VM over the phone but they do their test and is fine so get usual info from them. 

Doing my head in, super fast broadband if you can connect to it lol

Hi

Yeah tried the usual on/off then factory reset. Have to do that daily now to try fix it. Shouldn't have to do that. Only been happing over past year and getting to me now. Even have to reboot V6 box as it can't find it.....murder.

Boosh
On our wavelength

@Weirgo wrote:

Hi there

I don't have any lights apart from the dash at the bottom (hub 3). I can be on WiFi on one device and the other is connected but no internet. Trying to deal with VM over the phone but they do their test and is fine so get usual info from them. 

Doing my head in, super fast broadband if you can connect to it lol

So if I'm right in thinking you have WiFi connection but no access to the Internet? And your WiFi light isn't showing on the hub, as well as your connection light (two green arrows)?

If this is the case have you tried powering off your hub, unplugging it and leaving it for 5 minutes, then powering it back up?

If the lights in question still don't show then it sounds like a hub issue, as you're getting WiFi connection but no light on your hub to indicate the WiFi is working. 

Hey @Weirgo,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your WiFi connection at the moment. Have you tried to do what @Boosh suggested in their previous post?

Does this issue happen in the same room as the WiFi hub and around your home or just when you're further away from the hub?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi there, same room and into dining room. No walls between its an open space. 

Not more than 6m away from hub and drops all the time.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this re wifi only issues

As it is a wifi only issue (wired PC is fie)n, then on a Hub3/4/5, you could first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you and have a speed "guarantee".

Its now called… Wifi Max see…….

https://www.virginmedia.com/wifi-max

You can call  0800 064 3850 to order the first one - or follow instructions on that website - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you . If you call dont get fobbed off by the offshore CS agents' saying you aren’t eligible it will be £5 or £8 month - you are… and it wont be - just look on the webpage.

If not free to you… you will be charged £8/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 (that’s ~4->12 months of Max Pod rental) should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi there, will take a look at what you suggested thanks.

WiFi works fine when connected just that it drops. My phone was using all its data allowance as WiFi keep kicking it off. 

Will try turning off intelligent WiFi part but never had issues before with this so don't see how it would arise now. Unless some form of update has happened possibly. 

I honestly believe its the unit myself but will keep trying the suggestions given as nothing lose and getting nowhere with virgin phone handlers.

Cheers