cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi connected but no Internet

DSMTH
Tuning in

Hi, 

Ironically I wrote this all out and lost it when my WiFi to the phone died and tried posting.

I have had lots of issues with what I assume is the hub broadcasting WiFi. I had issues back in mid August (as per one of my images below), the engineer I booked was cancelled by text with a promise of an update, to which I have yet to hear anything further. 

Example, yesterday I wake up and try to log on to my work laptop, connect to WiFi but error as it doesn't have any Internet signal. I am forced to travel to the office after multiple power cycles of the router do not fix the issue. 

I came home from work last night and WiFi is working again, I spent the evening streaming TV and had no issues. Today I have the same issues again but only on my phone and work phone, I power cycled the router and got my laptop online but my personal phone was working (now is not as per image below) and my work phone has failed to get back online at all this morning. Because I am so reliant on my work connection I am afraid to cycle it again until I finish work.

I have run the online diagnostic tool and it says I have no idiots with the connection to the house. I feel like it's the hub, but I've only been with virgin 3 months so it seems a very short time to break within

Can someone please help? I'm not very happy I have to keep jumping through hips just to keep my connection working. 

IMG_20220909_095535.jpg

IMG_20220909_102356.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

We had an engineer visit last week and was very thankful we'd done a lot of the diagnostic groundwork and had saved evidence

He replaced our virgin hub and activated a brand new one, said it was highly likely to be a faulty hub and have not had any issues since the replacement (touch wood). 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the issues only on wifi? That is are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

First check to see if the known issue is fixed.

Try in 2 places

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi, thanks.

The router is a VM hub3, the router shows whiteish light (steady) the whole time aside from when it is being power cycled by myself. 

I don't have any ethernet connections to the router, but I can test that next time it happens. 

I never had any issues known in the area aside from when it let me book an engineer which was later cancelled. 

I check the online service status regularly when the issue happens and it never reports anything back unless my router is cycling. Once it is back on white light, it reports as normal. The phone number for service issues also shows nothing wrong for my postcode. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the base light stays as is then it could be just a wifi issue - the ethernet test is good data to have - also a BQM would be good to see.

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have just set that up, thank you

Will also wait for an official VM response here as well

Cheers

Hi DSMTH, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your broadband connection via WiFi. 

Taking a look at things this end, I can see that the power levels are within range however the signal levels share a different story. We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. 

I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi DSMTH, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to pass data protection and confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Thank you,

The appointment works for me, I'll be here.

Kind regards

Duncan

Thank you @DSMTH.

Let us know how it all goes once the appointment is completed.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

Hi,

We had an engineer visit last week and was very thankful we'd done a lot of the diagnostic groundwork and had saved evidence

He replaced our virgin hub and activated a brand new one, said it was highly likely to be a faulty hub and have not had any issues since the replacement (touch wood).