cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi boosters effect wifi

TeddyTRK
Superfast

Hi, I am on the Hub 4 1 Gig volt package and I have had the Wi-Fi boosters for around 3-4 months now. I have 2, and I have rearranged them around my house to find the best spots. However, after a few days of them being plugged in, it starts buffering up with Wi-Fi. It shows there's a connection on devices and shows ethernet is connected on my PC, but it struggles to load webpages. I can go on discord, do online calls but mainly webpages just stay blank. I have also noticed within games random ping spikes from 30 all the way to around 300 for periods of 5-7 seconds. any help on this? I have reset the Wi-Fi, had an engineer over, I have called up virgin so they can edit settings with my router...I don't know what else I can do.

Edward | VM 1 Gig Volt Package | Telephone | Hub 5 | VM 360 box | VM 360 Multi-Room x2 | I do not work for Virgin Media, all opinions are my own.
17 REPLIES 17

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do you mean "boosters" or are they really the "Pods" - which are free to you on that package?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

The pods
Edward | VM 1 Gig Volt Package | Telephone | Hub 5 | VM 360 box | VM 360 Multi-Room x2 | I do not work for Virgin Media, all opinions are my own.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What's the distance between the Hub and the first pod and between the two pods?

Are there any major obstructions to wifi between them? Such as... foil backed insulating plasterboard, in floor electric heating, thick iron rich Victorian red brick walls.

You could try repositioning them a little closer to the Hub/each other and then add in the third Pod a bit further away - you are entitled to 3 - and see if that improves it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

One is just above the hub upstairs covering a 'blank spot' found by an engineer. We then plugged it in several sockets with the room to try and find the best spot, then VM, over the phone, asked me to move it every 24 hours till the Wi-Fi is at it's best. I did that and for the first few weeks it worked great. The 2nd one is about 8-10m away with 2 thin, single brick walls between them with hardly any plumbing or metals in the way to interfere with the connection.

As I said, they worked fine when they were first installed, then they started to really bug out - constant droppage and everything, one of them even stopped connecting to my router all together. I rang VM and they edited settings to the router (Original VM Hub 4 router) and everything started working again, but there's just times where I have to fully reset the hub in order to get them working properly again.

As mentioned before, stuff like Discord, Skype and Gaming apps work fine it's mainly searching the web on devices close to the pods

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Have you tried using wifi scanning App to probe the wifi environment around the areas? It may have changed recently.

Also other devices can be interfering. For example, whenever we switch on our new Panasonic microwave oven then the wifi crashes out !

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yes, I was even advised to do this via VM over the phone. There's no pattern as to why they just suddenly stop working. The signal always stays 'Great' and the connection is always healthy and there is no indication of interference between the hub and the pods at all... I just am confused that on some applications (Browsing the web, loading images, doing speed tests) it can just almost completely stop working or load extremely slowly but then at the same time can be just fine on other applications such as Discord, Skype and Games

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK hopefully someone else will have some ideas - I use my own wifi equipment - I have never even seen a Pod 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @TeddyTRK,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your Equipment.

I will send you a private message now, so I can see what more I can do.

Please look out for a purple envelope.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @TeddyTRK,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your Equipment.

I will send you a private message now, so I can see what more I can do.

Please look out for a purple envelope.

Many thanks,

straight to pm - not sure why - maybe some upfront help would be useful

to the op - lets start with the basics - do you have any wired connections - if so are they ok - if the input is rubbish then whatever wifi you have will also be rubbish - post some info from the hub

log into hub3/4 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

Tony.
Sacked VIP