cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - 'Weak Security' on Apple Devices

Egon79
Joining in

So, I have a VM Superhub 2 that typically uses WPA2 security for WiFi. 

When I am at home and working from home (as I am today and as I do every Friday), there are typically at least 3 devices connected to the WiFi - my work laptop PC; my iMac and my iPhone. I have about 4 other Apple devices in the house which may be connected or not but I don't use them all at the same time.

For the last 3 weeks on a Friday - between the hours of 1pm and 3pm, something has happened to my WiFi which:

a. causes my laptop to lose connection and therefore throw me out of my work network via VPN and 

b. on my Apple devices, shows that the wifi is still working but has Weak Security. 

My work laptop won't connect at all to either the 2G or 5G and as mentioned, the Apple devices continue to work but report weak security. I am having to restart the hub and typically, after a minute or two, the security seems to be fine and everything connects without warning messages or errors.

Has anyone else come across this or can someone explain why this only seems to be happening on a Friday between the hours I've mentioned above?

Worth mentioning that on a couple of occasions I've been working from home on a random Monday or other days as well as Friday and it has never happened and I might be on an Apple device at any other time of the day/night at home and it's has never happened. It's just Friday's - just in the last 3 weeks and has only seemingly happened between 1pm and 3pm.

I'd like to understand why it happens and what I can do to prevent it because I have a web-based internet phone on my work laptop and I've been logged out of a call every single week so far because the WiFi decides not to be secure enough until I can get downstairs to reboot it.

53 REPLIES 53

cdmasters
Joining in

I too am having the very same problem, I will send you a PM Jen with my details. Thanks in advance 

ABT77
Joining in

Have the same issue here...

have also sent a PM to Jen but had an email reply saying I need permission to send it!

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi cdmasters and ABT77,

When no PM has been requested an automated 'unsolicited PM' message is sent out.  i appreciate why you have both been in touch though but, since my last post on here, we have been made aware of a workaround which should remedy IOS Wifi issues with Super Hub 2's. Please click here to read the article and follow the advice contained. 

Let me know whether or not this resolves the problem for you.

Jen
Forum Team

Thanks for replying Jen,

I've tried but it's not helped here I'm afraid, I still get the same message on both iPhone and iPad.

Not sure if it is a related issue but I also see a second version of my wifi on the list of available networks on my phone, even though I'm connected to it already, but it won't accept any passwords to connect to this version

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ABT77,

Well thanks for trying anyway. I've ordered a new Hub so shall be interested to find out how you get on. Here are the details:

• The new Hub should arrive within the next few days.
  • The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.
  • Full setup and activation instructions will be included.

All the best,

Jen
Forum Team

Hi Jen

I also have this problem of “weak security” and persistent dropouts on my superhub 2.

It has been happening for a couple of weeks now and is a real issue dropping out in the middle of online banking and managing my pension

It happens with all devices on 2.4 and 5hz frequencies

I have tried rebooting, factory reset and the IOS workaround mentioned in another thread (resetting network connections)

Can I pm you to get a replacement hub?

thanks in advance

Paul

Thanks for the help Jen, but after following the advice I am still having the same problem, on both my IOS devices

Regards

Chris

paulbillingham
Joining in

Seems like we’re being ignored.....

I read the 57 page thread on IOS 11.4.1 problems

Some get a response some don't

Some get sent an engineer some don’t 

Some get a new SH sent out some don’t 

some blame Apple Some blame VM

I’m lost...seriously wondering if 4G and freeview is the future

Now to add insult to injury my SH2 won’t accept the default router log in password despite a pinhole reset!

Hi

I have the same issues as described here, dropping out on 2g and 5g, weak security message on 2g, total drop off regularly after midnight, two different 2gs listed when already connected, refusal of passwords after dropping out etc. 

I've tried all the resets and other advice on the this thread and iOS one and no change. 

Can you advise how I can arrange for replacement hub please?  

cdmasters
Joining in

Set up the new 3.0 hub and after adding my (many!) devices to it, everything is looking good so far. Thanks for your help Jen. 👍🏻