cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - 'Weak Security' on Apple Devices

Egon79
Joining in

So, I have a VM Superhub 2 that typically uses WPA2 security for WiFi. 

When I am at home and working from home (as I am today and as I do every Friday), there are typically at least 3 devices connected to the WiFi - my work laptop PC; my iMac and my iPhone. I have about 4 other Apple devices in the house which may be connected or not but I don't use them all at the same time.

For the last 3 weeks on a Friday - between the hours of 1pm and 3pm, something has happened to my WiFi which:

a. causes my laptop to lose connection and therefore throw me out of my work network via VPN and 

b. on my Apple devices, shows that the wifi is still working but has Weak Security. 

My work laptop won't connect at all to either the 2G or 5G and as mentioned, the Apple devices continue to work but report weak security. I am having to restart the hub and typically, after a minute or two, the security seems to be fine and everything connects without warning messages or errors.

Has anyone else come across this or can someone explain why this only seems to be happening on a Friday between the hours I've mentioned above?

Worth mentioning that on a couple of occasions I've been working from home on a random Monday or other days as well as Friday and it has never happened and I might be on an Apple device at any other time of the day/night at home and it's has never happened. It's just Friday's - just in the last 3 weeks and has only seemingly happened between 1pm and 3pm.

I'd like to understand why it happens and what I can do to prevent it because I have a web-based internet phone on my work laptop and I've been logged out of a call every single week so far because the WiFi decides not to be secure enough until I can get downstairs to reboot it.

53 REPLIES 53

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gpoman,

Thank you for providing that information 🙂

I have ordered a replacement hub for you - due to stock limitations you'll most likely get a Hub3 instead of a like-for-like replacement, details are:

• The new Hub should arrive within the next few days.
  • The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.
  • Full setup and activation instructions will be included.

Keep me updated on how you get on 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

Hi Jen just to say thanks for Hub 3 it seems to have cured problem ..thanks very much Gpoman

Jordan23350
Joining in

I am having the same problems it sounds idential to Gpoman problem i have tried changing channels but that didn't work i have also set the network security mode to WPA2-PSK[AES] but this didnt work either it still tells me i have week security on my ipad 

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jordan23350,

Sorry that you're having the same issue. I have ordered a replacement Hub for you which I hope will not display the same problem (it will be a newer model Hub).

• The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.

Keep us updated on how you get on 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

I too have this exact issue, albeit I found a very similar thread and posted there instead: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/WiFi-Connection-Issues/td-p/3441303

this has been going on for some time, all the things everyone else has tried I have done, particularly the one where the valid WPA pass phrase is repeatedly rejected (very annoying that)

I also find that when the iPhone/iPad is connected via the spurious WEP connection that inter network communication is all but impossible.

Jordan23350
Joining in

Hi all, I have received my replacement SH3 already it’s already working allot better thank you very much for all your help 

Jordan

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Excellent,, glad to hear it and thanks for the update Jordan. Let us know if you need help with anything else at any point 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

I've recently started receiving this message and am unable to connect to the 5g connection.

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi chrisdmcc,

Sorry to hear this though I'll be happy to order a replacement Hub for you. Please send me a PM (hover your cursor over my picture and click on Send Message) and include:

• Your name
  • Your house number and postcode

I'll then get one sent out 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi chrisdmcc,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have ordered a replacement Hub (newer model) so hopefully this will sort out the WEP issue.

Here are the details:

Keep us updated on how you get on 🙂

Jen
Forum Team