cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - 'Weak Security' on Apple Devices

Egon79
Joining in

So, I have a VM Superhub 2 that typically uses WPA2 security for WiFi. 

When I am at home and working from home (as I am today and as I do every Friday), there are typically at least 3 devices connected to the WiFi - my work laptop PC; my iMac and my iPhone. I have about 4 other Apple devices in the house which may be connected or not but I don't use them all at the same time.

For the last 3 weeks on a Friday - between the hours of 1pm and 3pm, something has happened to my WiFi which:

a. causes my laptop to lose connection and therefore throw me out of my work network via VPN and 

b. on my Apple devices, shows that the wifi is still working but has Weak Security. 

My work laptop won't connect at all to either the 2G or 5G and as mentioned, the Apple devices continue to work but report weak security. I am having to restart the hub and typically, after a minute or two, the security seems to be fine and everything connects without warning messages or errors.

Has anyone else come across this or can someone explain why this only seems to be happening on a Friday between the hours I've mentioned above?

Worth mentioning that on a couple of occasions I've been working from home on a random Monday or other days as well as Friday and it has never happened and I might be on an Apple device at any other time of the day/night at home and it's has never happened. It's just Friday's - just in the last 3 weeks and has only seemingly happened between 1pm and 3pm.

I'd like to understand why it happens and what I can do to prevent it because I have a web-based internet phone on my work laptop and I've been logged out of a call every single week so far because the WiFi decides not to be secure enough until I can get downstairs to reboot it.

53 REPLIES 53

Oops should have read weak security sorry for typo ..

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

Is it "weak signal" or "weak security" on the iPad? And does it do this when right close to the SH2?

Is the SH2 WiFi security set to WPA2?

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Egon79
Joining in

I was the OP 7 months ago and as per Sephiroth's original suggestion, I finally had my hub replaced back in October. As suspected, changing channels didn't work (and I had already tried it multiple times anyway) and it took a further 3 or 4 more calls, including a written complaint about the unreliability of the broadband connection as it continued to drop out and affect my work before the new hub was despatched.

It isn't perfect but the connection is significantly more reliable and I haven't had the issue regarding 'weak security' since.

SH2 is set to WPA2 am sitting beside it and same problem weak security

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
@Egon79

... and I noticed that the Forum Team never did get back to you!

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Egon79wrote:

I was the OP 7 months ago and as per Sephiroth's original suggestion, I finally had my hub replaced back in October. As suspected, changing channels didn't work (and I had already tried it multiple times anyway) and it took a further 3 or 4 more calls, including a written complaint about the unreliability of the broadband connection as it continued to drop out and affect my work before the new hub was despatched.

It isn't perfect but the connection is significantly more reliable and I haven't had the issue regarding 'weak security' since.

In which case I suggest that you start your own thread, referencing this one.  This is to ensure that your case is not overlooked.  You should ask the Forum Team to replace the SH2 as you are suffering the "weak security" problem.  They'll send you a Hub 3.

Welshdevil
Joining in

Seems to be a theme.

My iPad lists my wifi has ‘weak security’ and when I click for more info it says the wifi is on WEP. After checkign the settings on the Super Hub 2, I know it is on WPA2-PSK[AES]. 

Since this has bee an issue, it also cuts out quite a bit since and when it asks for a password when it comes back on it flags up as incorrect for several times until it finally accepts it. 

@Welshdevilwrote:

Seems to be a theme.

My iPad lists my wifi has ‘weak security’ and when I click for more info it says the wifi is on WEP. After checkign the settings on the Super Hub 2, I know it is on WPA2-PSK[AES]. 

Since this has bee an issue, it also cuts out quite a bit since and when it asks for a password when it comes back on it flags up as incorrect for several times until it finally accepts it. 

That is precisely the bug on the SH2.  WiFi reverts to WEP but doesn't report that in the settings.  The only solution is for VM to provide a Hub 3 replacement (back then it was a SH2ac replacement).

The Forum Team know all about this issue with SH2.

Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Gpoman,

This is interesting. I shall dispense with the usual checks, for now, as the OP seems to have set a precedent. I would like to replace your Hub and see whether or not that resolves the matter for you. 
Would you please send me a PM (hover your cursor over my picture and click on Send Message) and include:

• Your name
  • Your house number and postcode

This is to make certain I'm ordering the replacement for the correct address. 

I'd like to know if this works for you so I'll know what action to take for anyone else in the same predicament.

@Sephiroth - it's been a long time since that thread you mention and I've seen no examples since, until this thread 😕

@Egon79 -  I am truly sorry that we never got back to you on this, though thanks for posting an update 🙂

@Welshdevil - If you don't mind I'd like to see how Gpoman gets on with a new Hub first. But, if you'd rather not wait, would you also follow the advice on here and send me a PM? I'll get a new Hub sent out to you too 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Hi Jen,
@Jen_A

There are a few posts on this where I've encouraged the Forum Team to treat this as the known SH2 condition. But it is a diminishing count due to population.

So thanks for sorting this.