cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi - 'Weak Security' on Apple Devices

Egon79
Joining in

So, I have a VM Superhub 2 that typically uses WPA2 security for WiFi. 

When I am at home and working from home (as I am today and as I do every Friday), there are typically at least 3 devices connected to the WiFi - my work laptop PC; my iMac and my iPhone. I have about 4 other Apple devices in the house which may be connected or not but I don't use them all at the same time.

For the last 3 weeks on a Friday - between the hours of 1pm and 3pm, something has happened to my WiFi which:

a. causes my laptop to lose connection and therefore throw me out of my work network via VPN and 

b. on my Apple devices, shows that the wifi is still working but has Weak Security. 

My work laptop won't connect at all to either the 2G or 5G and as mentioned, the Apple devices continue to work but report weak security. I am having to restart the hub and typically, after a minute or two, the security seems to be fine and everything connects without warning messages or errors.

Has anyone else come across this or can someone explain why this only seems to be happening on a Friday between the hours I've mentioned above?

Worth mentioning that on a couple of occasions I've been working from home on a random Monday or other days as well as Friday and it has never happened and I might be on an Apple device at any other time of the day/night at home and it's has never happened. It's just Friday's - just in the last 3 weeks and has only seemingly happened between 1pm and 3pm.

I'd like to understand why it happens and what I can do to prevent it because I have a web-based internet phone on my work laptop and I've been logged out of a call every single week so far because the WiFi decides not to be secure enough until I can get downstairs to reboot it.

53 REPLIES 53

Heather_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello Egon79,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the Community 😄

Sorry to hear about the wireless connection problems you're experiencing. Have you tried to configure your wireless networks yet? If not, I'd recommend changing the channel to see if this helps. How do your hard-wired devices perform, any problems with that?

Catch you soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Heather_J might recall that there is a humungous thread on this topic from about 2 years ago. Some SH2s do this and revert to WEP security. The only solution was to supply affected users with a SH2AC. That would now be the Hub 3 (which despite some hysteria on the forum is a reasonable device).

I have no doubt that this is your problem and that changing the channel is entirely futile particularly as your problems include 5GHz. I hope that Heather doesn't need another week to get back to you.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Jochurch
Tuning in
I also have the same problem

I also have the same problem

Gpoman
Joining in

I two have same problem Tech Support just keep telling me nothing wrong with there equipment and must be problem with my iPad not a satisfactory answer 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta

@Gpomanwrote:

I two have same problem Tech Support just keep telling me nothing wrong with there equipment and must be problem with my iPad not a satisfactory answer 

All too often “the same problem” is something else. 

So kindly describe exactly what is happening to which devices (includig messages). Which hub you have. Whether or not it is set to WPA2 security and the devices as well. 

I have an IPad Air when I set it on 5ghz WiFi on the WiFi connection it shows weak security even though set to WPA2 the hub I have is a Super Hub 2 VMDG485 thanks any help appreciated ..Colin 

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
When it "show weak security" does the iPad Air actually connect to the SH2? And do other WiFi devices connect at that time?

Yes it connects but still on 5ghz shows weak signal my v6 boxes all connect ok no issues talking to each other