Menu
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Security camera will not connect

When setting up the wireless, what sort of signal strength did the interface show?
How many other networks did it pick up?

I would download a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for a laptop or WiFi Analyser for Android phones and test the signal strength and how many competing networksare around you at the camera's location. This will provide a more accurate signal strength andwill also show you what channels neighbouring networks are broadcasting on so you can change to the best channel to avoid interference.

I take it the camera is situated outside. The external wall of your home will provide a significant barrier to a wireless signal, especially if you have a thermal foil backed cavity insulation.

How far is the Hub from the camera?

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 12 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi MrC,

Although we don't yet know if your Hub is causing your Wifi camera to not connect, I do think that upgrading your Hub is a good first step. You have had it some years now! I have ordered a replacement:

• The new Hub (most likely a Hub3)  should arrive within the next few days.
  • The courier, Yodel, will leave contact details should re-delivery arrangements be needed.
  • A text will be sent (to the mobile number we have listed for you) the day prior to delivery advising of an ETA.
  • Full setup and activation instructions will be included.

If you have any set up issues please post on here and we'll help out. Equally we'd like to know if your camera connects or not so keep us updated 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

MrC
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 18
Flag for a moderator

First thanks to all replies, not had a chance to follow up till now, re. the wall blocking the signal it`s outside a window if that makes a difference. I am still having problems, wondered whether the laptop was at fault and if i could upgrade the  card but apparently the Ethernet connection is part of the motherboard.

It was suggested that the hub might be the problem so thanks for that Jen, hopefully it will be the cure. Will come back with the good news ? as soon as.........................

Dennis.

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I'm not entirely sure the new Hub will help Dennis, but I too am hoping for a good update from yourself 🙂

If it doesn't help we'll investigate further.

Bye for now.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 15 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Did you find a solution to this? I am having the same problem with my new camera. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ArtcyTracy
Joining in
Message 16 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I was able to successfully set my camera up by disabling my 5g and using an ethernet cable to connect to my 2.4g. Then I could re-enable my 5g and remove the ethernet cable to go wireless. 

0 Kudos
MrC
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Sorry for the late reply never seem enough hours in a day, My outside cameras are working but only with ethernet cables.

Bought a pair of indoor rotating cams and now have another problem. Took the laptop net gear extender and got one camera to work using a cable, bought another net gear extender for the other camera but at moment having a problem getting it to work, maybe 2 extenders won`t work.

Wish I was more savvy with all this, it would be good to just have it all working

0 Kudos
MrC
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 18
Flag for a moderator

My setup is :

2 desktops-connected to router via ethernet cables

1 laptop- using WiFi

2 external WiFi security cameras- only work with ethernet cables

1 indoor WiFi camera- using Netgear extender

Trying to get second indoor camera to work using another Netgear extender (same model) but not having any luck, according to Netgear it should, do I need to buy a different router?

0 Kudos