cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Router

gee270
Tuning in

Hi, 

Can anybody recommend a WiFi router I can buy to replace the Virgin Media router I have, quite frankly I'm fed up with the new router they use, it's always dropping connection and the signal barely covers the ground floor of my house so I receive endless complaints from my kids about lack of wifi upstairs.

I find it unbelievable that after all the years VirginMedia have been around they still cannot  provide a decent WiFi router although I'm not surprised. The customer help line is worse than useless and if you dare raise a complaint they just close it without responding 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Mmmm.... this is the dilemma.

Gettting your own wireless router, Mesh system and/or wireless access points will certainly sort all your wifi issues out - I did that >20 years ago and have never had a wireless issue in any room in my 3-bed semi.

However, if there is an underlying network connection issue - it wont cure that. And ATM there is no clear evidence either way - although you saying the wired pc "sometimes" drops is a bit concerning.

So you could try testing that continuously to see if they drop at the same time and see what the hub lights do when it occurs - does the wifi light flash and does the base light stay solid "whiteish" or flash green?

You could also follow the protocol below so that any underlying issues should be made apparent.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Like asking "can someone recommend a car".

But first.... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Primarily on WiFi, various devices, laptops, Apple Macbook, IPad, IPhone & Android phones & tablets & Samsun TV but even the wired PC sometimes doesn't get a connection but I rarely use that device so I can't say for sure how often.

Connection drops at random times only way to get connection back is by turning router off & on again. 

Signal strength has never been good upstairs (3 bed semi house)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Mmmm.... this is the dilemma.

Gettting your own wireless router, Mesh system and/or wireless access points will certainly sort all your wifi issues out - I did that >20 years ago and have never had a wireless issue in any room in my 3-bed semi.

However, if there is an underlying network connection issue - it wont cure that. And ATM there is no clear evidence either way - although you saying the wired pc "sometimes" drops is a bit concerning.

So you could try testing that continuously to see if they drop at the same time and see what the hub lights do when it occurs - does the wifi light flash and does the base light stay solid "whiteish" or flash green?

You could also follow the protocol below so that any underlying issues should be made apparent.

Post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

OK, thanks.

I've been thinking about the mesh solution but never really got round to it.

I'll work through your suggestion & see how things go

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If you are committed to the solution - I would say just go for it and see if it all gets sorted. If it does - happy days ! If not - some will say you have wasted money unnecessarily - I would say no - you have solved the wifi issues and now you just need VM to cure the underlying connection issue. If they cant and you move ISP's - the Mesh goes with you.

For Mesh, recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”.

The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Their M4 system is also good and is ~£100.

If you want wifi6 and Triband it will cost considerably more

--------------------
John
--------------------