cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Pod required

nationalgeograp
Tuning in

Good Afternoon.

I’ve just had a Hub 3 delivered and find my back bedroom (where I work) has a poor signal. I did the room searches for blackspots via the virgin connect app. It recommended I get a WiFi pod.

Would there be any kindly VM employees here who could get one of these pods sent out to me?

Thank you.

Steven.

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Pods are free (so worth trying)  to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

And right now they are in short supply so there could be a wait.

If not you will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and which will cure all your wifi problems.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Also, on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thank you kind sir!

I can’t be getting involved with changing settings & separating bands etc….I’ll just mess things up by tinkering too much lol.

I’m not on the 1GB plan, so no new pod for me. Yes, at £5 a month rental, you should buy your own kit to keep.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just been reminded that the Pods are back in stock, but I still think that investing £5/month in your own kit is better value.

Get either a…(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

If you need advice on any of those just ask on the forum.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi @nationalgeograp,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with black spots. We can understand this is not ideal. Was the great advise given by @jbrennand useful? Do you need any further help?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi.

Yes, the advice provided was useful. I’d rather not go down that road, I don’t want to start tinkering with things then ultimately make things worse. I’ll see how it goes with the blackspots.

Thanks.

I'll chuck in my ha'porth on this.....if @nationalgeograp is reluctant to adjust the settings on the hub and worried about beggaring up the settings, then potentially renting a VM pod may be a good choice.  VM have to support it, it's about as near plug and play as you get with wifi, and I don't believe there any minimum term, so if you try it, and after six weeks conclude it's not for you, then you can cancel the rental and return it.

For myself, @jbrennand and many others, we do provide our own wifi kit because that suits our needs, we've got a good grasp of how it works and what we need to do to configure it, and the basic maths tends to favour buying your own kit, but I can see that for for some customers pod rental is a nice "fit and (hopefully) forget" improvement.

We'll happily advise on choosing and using your own wifi kit, but for some customers the pods are a sound choice.

Ha ha, plug and play is definitely me, no faff!

I just need a kindly VM employee to pick this up and maybe please get a pod to me….

Thanks for the help jbrennand & Andrew G!

Thanks for your reply, nationalgeograp,

Yes, our Intelligent Wifi Pods can help and is an option if you don't have your own kit. As previously discussed it is £5 per month and £5 delivery. You can find out more here: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/intelligent-wifi-pods-new.

I have also sent you a private message if you would like us to get this ordered for you.

Cheers,

Corey C