cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Pod - How do I get one?

traymd
Tuning in

I have the M500 service and did a check of the rooms in my house to see if I needed a pod. All was OK except the kitchen at the back of my house - furthest away from the router - where I had no signal. Based on that I need to get one Wifi Pod.

I've tried to get through on the phone to order one but haven't been able to get through and the endless "dial X for blah" options is driving me round the bend with all my efforts ending up hanging on the phone waiting for it to be answered. I've also tried to get through using the chat facility but all I've got is a bot saying "transferring you to an agent" and nothing happens.

I dont have the need to contact Customer Service very much - if at all - as over the 10+ years I've had Virgin Media Broadband the service has been stable and I've never had any issues that needed fixing.  However Virgin seem to be making what should be a simple process - ordereing a pod - unnecessarily difficult.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aaron2
Well-informed

Best advice is calling 150 from a VM landline/Virgin Mobile at 8am and going through the cancellation route & explaining you just want a pod. They may even be able to get you a better offer if you're not in a contract so becomes a 2 in 1, but that's the easiest route. Alternative is going very close to where the WiFi drops and running a test using the app again so it comes up saying there's a Blindspot and offers you the pod. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Aaron2
Well-informed

Best advice is calling 150 from a VM landline/Virgin Mobile at 8am and going through the cancellation route & explaining you just want a pod. They may even be able to get you a better offer if you're not in a contract so becomes a 2 in 1, but that's the easiest route. Alternative is going very close to where the WiFi drops and running a test using the app again so it comes up saying there's a Blindspot and offers you the pod. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this for info

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3/4/5, you should first try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings At the same time switch off "channel optimisation/Smart wifi” and “ apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will now need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing cheap and cheerless “boosters”). However, their Pods are only free to customers on the 1GB, Volt (or old Ultimate Oomph) packages - is that you? If so they are worth trying - they should work for you.

You do have to call in to order the first one (cant do it online the website is borked) - or try the web-chat or Whatsapp functions (that has worked for some) - or just wait here for a VM person to respond in a day or two and they will sort the first one for you .

If not… you will be charged £5/month (note - BT charge £10/mo for their whole home wifi solution). It’s a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying your own wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever, although the VM Pods should be a simpler option.

You would need to get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2,3).

£30-100 should sort it for most customers with an average property and usage.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the detailed answer John - very helpful 👍 

Based on my set up I'm going to give the wifi pods a go. I seem to have got through on the Virgin phone line to order this morning - they seem to put you through to a human being faster If you press an option for buying more services than asking a question ... funny that. Its not that clear from the "select option X for blah" automated response which is the one to go for! 😂  Being able to order online would be much more helpful.

Hi thanks for the reply.

I don't have a virgin landline so I just phoned the 0800 number stated on the website and selected the option to add new services ... I seem to be able to get through faster to a human being if it looks like I'm going to spend money ... or as in your example ... take money away ... rather than selecting any options about questions/discussing account - strange that eh?😂  Anyway I'm arranging to get a wifi pod on the phone now 👍

Hey traymd, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community. I am sorry to see you was struggling to get a pod ordered.

I can also see you have been speaking to the team about this issues and they have sorted this out for you.

Please can you let me know how you get on with this. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Raymond1201
Joining in

I'm also needing a WiFi pod. I'm on the 1gb. Can someone from virgin get in touch to organise? Thanks

Hello Raymond1201

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are needing a Pod.

Have you ran a scan on your property with this App

If you’re not getting download speeds of at least 20Mbps in every room, you can order your first mesh WiFi Pod on this app.

Gareth_L

Yes I've ran a scan and am only getting 15mb at my downstairs hallway where my ring doorbell is. I've had a look on the app but can't see where it will let me order a pod. 

Thanks

Hello Raymond1201

Sorry to hear of the wireless network issues experienced within your property, we appreciate you raising these via the forums and welcome to the community.

From checking we can see the speeds available from the Hub are 1097mbps download and 52mbps upload averages, there have been two disconnection in the last 7 days and all of the spec's and levels appear to be within the ranges we'd expect to see. The Hub does show it was last rebooted 14 days ago, we would always recommend regular reboots to ensure the best connection possible.

We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

We do have the Connect App https://virg.in/connectapp that will allow you to scan your property to optimise the wireless network and if needed order pod's. Depending on your package these may be free but any package is eligible for these if needed. The app will advise how to order these if required.

Rob