cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Hotspots profile not installed

kimmo58
Tuning in

Can't get the app to connect to Hotspots.  It says WiFi profile not installed.  When I try to set it up it comes up with "something went wrong, there is no server response” it happens every time I try.  The old app used to work no problem

76 REPLIES 76

Hi both, 

Thanks for your posts and apologies to hear you're having an issue using the Hotspots on Android 12. 

As it stands, the app isn't compatible for using Hotspots on Android 11 or 12. We’re working to resolve this in a future release expected in the coming months.

Apologies for any inconvenience. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

You need to get more on the ball with this. Android 13 will be released in a couple of months and then everyone will be in the same problem again!

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

Hi All, thank you for keeping us updated. I have an update from our team regarding the use of the connect App with Android 12:

We have been working hard to get the connect app working with the Android 12 update, as it should be working for anything above Android 12. Sadly some of the updates to fix the connect app with Android 12 have caused issues with Android 10 and 11. We are still working to get this resolved and working properly for all the operating systems. 

You can email us at connectapp@virginmedia.co.uk with feedback or updates around any Connect App / Android issues you are having. This will help us to keep track of the issues and get them resolved as quickly as possible. 

Thank you all for your patience, understanding and support in getting this sorted!

All the best. 

Molly

That doesn't make any sense....most people have told you we are on android 12 and it doesn't work. I just tested again and it doesn't (latest version updated). 

Also really poor that you've basically just said your Dev team didnt do any variable testing when releasing a mainstream app to 1000s of people. That's a pretty basic step to miss with Android. 

I will email as you've asked. 

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media

I was thinking the same. My app is all up todate and it still won't install a profile keeps saying "Something went wrong"

french01
On our wavelength

Like everyone else on this post, I use Android 12 on my phone. So I am, like you all, unable to access virginmedia hotspots. Are we to be offered some compensation regarding this issue? And as some have already pointed out, Android 13 is about to be released, what will happen then?

I agree I tried again yesterday and still a fail installing the profile. its ridiculous. 

cje85
Trouble shooter

Android 11 onwards don't allow WiFi profiles to be installed by apps. I'm not sure why VM are still claiming to be fixing an issue that can't be fixed. Other WiFi hotspot providers like Sky and O2 no longer have apps that install WiFi profiles, because they don't work anymore. 

french01
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply.

Should I understand that I need a phone that works with an older version of android to be able to access vm hotspot?

I also wonder how both the companies you quote handle this matter.

cje85
Trouble shooter

Yes, the VM Hotspots should still work on Android 10 or below. 

With O2/Sky, the user connects to the hotspot and is then directed to a login page to sign in. After that, their device is remembered and will auto connect in future.

https://www.sky.com/wifi

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/o2-wifi/connect-now

This is the kind of login that VM need to switch to if they want to keep offering the hotspots service.