Menu
Highlighted
Bluepixie
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Extender Charge

Hello. I'm looking for some advice regarding the monthly charge for a WiFi extender.

When a Virgin Media salesperson visited our house to try and sell us a Virgin fibre package we asked about potential Wifi coverage in our house. We had heard from neighbours (already with Virgin) that they struggled to get a WiFi connection in certain rooms which concerned us. The salesperson assured us that wouldn't be a problem as extenders could be fitted, we asked about cost and were told they were free.

We signed a contract with Virgin the following week and before signing, asked the salesperson again about any potential extra charges if we needed extenders. We were told they were included with the package. Our installation took place on Tuesday and we had no WiFi signal in the left side of the house along with a dodgy phone line that doesn't seem to be working very well. I sent a message to the salesperson who arranged for the engineer to return and test our signal. The engineer arrived this morning, tested the WiFi on the left side of the house and confirmed that there was no WiFi coverage whatsoever, and that an extended needed to be fitted. He then told me there was a monthly cost, so I explained what we were told before signing the contract. While the engineer was here, I called the salesperson (phone on loudspeaker) and queried the charge, he said there was no charge for the extender, and confirmed that he had told us that when selling us the Virgin package. He then told me to call the retentions team, explain the situation and the charge would be removed. The engineer said he would report the conversation back to his manager as it would have to be logged.

I called the retentions department and spoke to an agent who agreed with what the salesperson had told us, and said she would sort it out and have the charge removed but needed to speak to another department. After being on hold for 40 minutes she transferred my call to a floor manager who was extremely rude, said nothing could be done other than lodging a complaint then cut me off. I called back, spoke to different agent who said that the charge stood and kept repeating that I had been given 'misinformation' by the salesperson and the first agent I had spoken to in retentions. Again, she was very rude and I was shocked by her tone. 

Does anyone have any insight into where I stand? I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my contract, it's only 3 days in and service seems appalling. 

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Extender Charge

I am pretty sure you have been misinformed.  Several posts from VM staff members of this forum all say that they no longer supply wifi extenders.  To verify that and sort it out call them on the "thinking of leaving" option 150-1-1-4-5 .  In normal hours you should get the UK call centre and they should be able to sort it out for you - particularly if you say you are ready to cancel !

WRT the wifi issue - this is what I personally normally advise...

The wifi component of all VM’s (& other providers!) Hubs has been built down to a low price and so what you get is a very basic and limited wifi performance.  What I and many people on here do is to put  the Hub into “Modem mode” and hook up to our own third party wifi router or wireless access point.  These can vary in price depending on features etc.  You can pay £300+ for an all singing and dancing gaming device, to around £50 for a perfectly good basic gigabit one.  If you only have basic needs in a small house then that would sort you.  Lots of posts on this forum with suggestions for routers (at all prices) and access points that are known work well on the VM broadband network and how to connect them up.

At the other end of the spectrum if you have a rambling mansion with thick stone walls you will need something more sophisticated like a mesh system to get full strong coverage over your property.  Start your research here…..

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-mesh-wi-fi-network-systems-2018-3661110/

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1406868/best-mesh-wifi-routers-boost-the-range-of-your-home-...

A property somewhere in-between might well be serviced by a new router and some range extenders or powerline adaptors.  However, this could work out being little difference in price from a mesh.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
PaulLeadbeater
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have had a similar experience.  The installation salesman said that powerline adapters would be supplied to connect my V6 box to the Hub; the installation engineer said thety didn't use powwerline but connected by wifi,

i found that I could not connect on the 5GHz band and contacted Virgin.   Eventually they confirmed that a new Virgin wifi extender had been released and they would supply me one free-of-charge!  Unfortunately, the tech contact I was speaking to, advised that virgin would charge about 2 pounds a month for the privilage!!!

I see no justification in Virgin charging for something needed to enable their system to work as they advertise.I will see if I can get a change of policy from Virgin -- don''t hold your breath!

Static
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

In these situations it’s better to purchase your own router or WiFi extender from the local tech store. With the monthly cost of renting them from VM you’ll be financially better off in the long term by purchasing your own.
0 Kudos
Daddymack72
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

having just joined the forum (Hi everyone), I was looking for and found a blog re VM WiFi extenders and came across this one from 2018.

Apologies for raising it but, I also contacted VM last week to enquire about improving the very poor WiFi in our 1930’s 3 bed semi.

After  being put  through to their  ‘technical dept’ I was ‘offered’a 100% guarantee that with the VM latest WIFI extenders we would ALWAYS have an excellent WiFi coverage in the house at all times, so far so good!

I was delighted and said when can this be implemented?

Then the kick in the teeth,  ‘I can arrange a technician for next week, the SET UP FEE is £20?? and then £5 PER MONTH EXTRA, would you like to go ahead’?

I do not was my reply!

it beggars belief that we are supposedly being served by the ‘best’ broadband provider AND paying for the privilege, but have to pay more to say that VM IS the best?????

BT provide THIER customers with guaranteed 100% WiFi access at an ALL IN price!!

Are you reading this Virgin Media.

0 Kudos
Daddymack72
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The response to my original note from Virgin Media is deafening!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Daddymack72,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I'm unsure what's happened there.

If there is anything we can assist you with, please let us know.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@Daddymack72 

BT provide THIER customers with guaranteed 100% WiFi access at an ALL IN price!!”

Almost right, except BT charge for that service, either an extra £5 or £10 per month, and there is NO GUARANTEE - if they fail to deliver, you get a one-off £20 payment, still paying the monthly charge for the supplied WiFi discs.

0 Kudos
Daddymack72
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply,

if that’s the case then maybe BT customers should chat with Local Trading Standards as that certainly doesn’t come across in their adverts.

That said, back to my original point, VM let us believe they offer the best broadband service.

When issues arrive ie WiFi connection, it can be fixed, but you need to pay more.

That’s me done on this subject.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Daddymack72.

Is there anything we can assist you with?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos