Menu
Upen
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Ext

Connected today to Virgin Media via the street cable.  WiFi dodgy. Has anyone used commercially available WiFfi extender with Ethernet port and plugged the Ethernet port using suitable cable to the PC?

Does it work? If not, what do the young experts suggest I do? (I’m 80)

Upen

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Ext

Hi Upen and welcome. What you are wanting to do is quite common for users on here and usually works well.
However, firstly it would be good to know what you mean by "dodgy wifi" in order to rule out/in any network connection issues.
Can you explain a bit more what symptoms you are seeing --- low speeds? disconnections? poor coverage in other rooms? etc.
Also, what make/model of devices are you using to connect on wifi? What package are you on? Do you have any devices connected by ethernet cable (PC/Laptop/Console/TV/etc.?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Upen
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Delighted! Common??Mindboggling (am 80).
First of all: 1. Windows had to re-set my Network connection. Then some joy- the umbrella icon appeared saying am connected to wireless but not internet.

1. Then after several close/restart it finally behaved and I was able to see some emails.

The usual behaviour is access but no internet.

Speed? Compared to previous provider very slow.

3.Dis-connections Yes-several.

1. To be fair to Virgin my smartphone works in the same room- could be my computer set-up?

5.Am using Tp-link AC600 dual band wireless adapter.

6.TV?Smartphones

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Upen.
I am not good with Windoze I am exclusively Apple only. Someone else needs to comment on that aspect (umbrellas?) as it could be a PC specific problem.
Also you didnt say - is the PC connecting just on wifi or have you tested an ethernet cable connection on it?
Is it just the PC that is experiencing the drop offs, slow speeds, etc or does the phone do that too?
N.B. - just a reminder.... you have 14 days in which to cancel the VM installation with no financial penalty and go back to a previous or third provider - keep that in mind.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos