cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Drops Intermittently

Chrissheerin
Joining in

Hi, having intermittent problems with WiFi. Drops several times a day then reconnects. Router sometimes restarts itself but not always. Router has been reset to factory. No change. Wired connections work fine. Can’t get through on phone. How do I progress?

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it? If ethernet connections are all good and thus its just a wifi issue the Hub shouldnt restart - are you sure it does - what do the lights on it indicate?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It’s a Hub 3.0. 
when WiFi drops (but no reboot), Hub shows constant white light.  
Devices remain attached but can’t ping hub. 
When hub reboots, everything disconnects then reconnects when it has restarted. 
possibly have 2 problems. 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most likely that the hub is losing contract with the VM CMTS, let’s have some stats:

How to get stats from a VM hub

Open a web browser and go to 192.168.0.1 router mode or 192.168.100.1 modem mode

• Click on the “> Check router status” button
  • Click on the “Downstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Upstream” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply
  • Click on the “Networking” tab, copy the text and paste into your reply.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi Tudor,

Thanks for your response. 
I can’t access the router right now, but will get info shortly. 
There’s no problem with connections that are wired to the router while wireless drops. Why would CMTS be an issue?

thanks

chris

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just covering all angles, people tend not to notice some outages on cable connected devices.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hi @Chrissheerin

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issues. As per our Twitter conversation, the router keeps rebooting itself. This will need a service tech visit to attend the property. I've also logged a congestion issue with the networks team, as one of the upstream channels is showing way out of spec over a period of time. 

I'll send a PM now to get some details for this tech visit.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @Chrissheerin

Thanks for joining me on PM. 

Just to update the thread, the engineer visit has been booked in. 

This can be tracked and/or re-arranged in your online account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill