Menu
M4YON
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Dropouts, Slow speeds

So I have had the Hub3 for a while now and the WiFi signal tends to be ok downstairs (where the router is) and rubbish upstairs. 

It has recently began to momentarily throw devices off requiring me to disable the Wifi (on the devices) and reconnect to get the connection back it has always done this but more frequently of late.Screenshot_20190730-092736_Chrome.jpgDown stream

Screenshot_20190730-092745_Chrome.jpgUpstream

Screenshot_20190730-092750_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190730-092809_Chrome.jpg

I have included some screenshots of the upstream and downstream from my hub hoping that this helps in identify any obvious issues.

I have recently turned off intelligent Wifi and started anylzing the best WiFi channels manually and whilst this has helped some what it's not practical.

I'd just like some help both from VM to diagnose any problems and also from the community here do you guys recommend modem mode and a more powerful router? A mesh network? Just want to improve things.

P s My home network is very busy we have between 8 and 10 wireless devices connected (not all being used at once) and 2 hard wired.

0 Kudos
M4YON
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Dropouts, Slow speeds

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As far as the basic connectivity goes, your downstream power levels are on the low side, some are lower than is recommended, the upstream is fine and there’s nothing in the logs which indicates that your connection is struggling or giving up. Reasonable number of errors being detected but those figures are cumulative so unless you had rebooted the Hub only an hour or so before, again nothing really to worry about. You could probably do with being moved to a different tap on the street cabinet to lower the attenuation, it’ll drop the upstream levels but they’re fine and a reduction won’t be harmful.

However as the Hub is coping perfectly well with the values as they are, I think you will have a real problem getting VM to agree to an engineer visit and also it looks as if your problems are purely down to the wifi provision which won’t be affected even if the power levels were adjusted.

So what I’d suggest is you get a suitable router (ASUS make some good ones) from Amazon or somewhere which offers a no quibble return policy, and try the Hub in modem mode. I think it’ll be a massive improvement all round and if not, put the Hub back into Router mode and get your money back. Meshed wifi systems are more expensive (generally) and from your description I think will be massive overkill.

John

M4YON
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply John. Glad to know there's very little wrong with my connection. I too think there's very little chance of VM sending out a tech to mess with anything based on what you've said.

I had a feeling it was going to be a modem mode/ new router job but since I've not been in touch with router technology for a while.

I wanted to know what was best to go for mesh networks are all very new to me and from what I've read would require me to drop into modem mode and give up my ethernet ports in the interest of stronger blackspot free WiFi which isn't something I'd like to do if I can avoid it, my ethernet ports are a must.

So you reckon a decent ASUS would resolve my black spot/ WiFi issues?

To further add to what I was saying I have 2 ethernet connected device and whilst the problems I have with my WiFi are different I do have one specific one I've been trying to resolve with the Xbox.

The connection Is fine doesn't drop out or slow down because its wired but I have noticed and it does this frequently that the UPnP stops functioning properly causing in game connection issues as well as social issues (Party chat). It sends my NAT type strict and the only resolution is a Router reboot. I have my Xbox assigned to a specific IP address and the relevant ports have all been opened and yet the problem persists. I have had it in a DMZ previously just because I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered forwarding ports but wondered what more I could do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
sku11meister
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I dont know much about the signal levels, but i would say 100% get another router and put the superhub in modem mode! I did and its the best thing i ever did. I Started with an Asus router, and it solved all my wifi from dropping out, devices constantly losing WiFi and being booted, Baby cameras freezing all the time, It was the SH3 that was causing the issues. It just isn't a very good router when it comes to heavy usage.

The Asus had a lot more memory in it and a processor, and this fixed everything! Since then i have updated to a Mesh network which is made by Ubiquiti Unifi. 

I now run the unifi security gateway router, and a 24 port Hp managed switch and a load of unifi access points around my house and in the garden. Best thing i ever did!

The Asus router also did increase the wifi coverage as well when i first did this, enough to make me realise how bad the SH3 is. I decided to go full out on the unifi kit because our house is basically made of lead and the WiFi sucked upstairs and outside no matter what i did. Now i have 5 Ap's and one of those is outside in the garden! 

here is the router https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-Networks-Security-Gateway-Router/dp/B00LV8YZLK/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=...

here are the aps i have in the house 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C/ref=sr_1_2?ad...

and i have some of these as well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LITE-Access-Point/dp/B016K4GQVG/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid...

and this is the outdoor ap that gives me 300+ Mbps in our garden 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-UniFi-AC-Outdoor-Mesh/dp/B01NAAWOGO/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=52905490773...

** ++ Superhub 3 (Modem Mode) - Vivid500 - Unifi USG - Unifi Access Points - HP Procurve 24 managed switch - Netgear GS108 Switches - FTP and Plex Servers - NAS Drives ++ **
M4YON
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Definitely leaning towards a mesh network but either way a new router is on the cards the Hub3 just isn't going to cut it.

Expensive though...

0 Kudos