cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi Cutting out

DS76
Joining in

Despite performing Speedtests and getting WiFi speeds of 200Mbps (where it should be), my internet keeps cutting out. Video calls drop off and certain sites show as unavailable and claim no network. Anyone had this issue and managed to resolve?

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

What Hub model is it and what are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

If it is a wifi only issue there are things you can try yourself to resolve it - if its a Network connection problem - then only VM can sort it. Testing on an ethernet cable connection will help diagnose that

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

So Ethernet has been reliable… tv content plays no bother. It appears to be the WiFi that’s the issue. Devices running from WiFi (phones and laptops etc) are constantly dropping despite Speedtest telling me I’m getting 200Mbps.

Hub is a Hub 3.0 VMDG505.

Any steps I can take?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yep - but "limited" see this.....

On a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings.

All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the better SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance.

But its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4).

£40-100 should sort it for most customers with average usage

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for this. So go into settings via the IP address and separate to make a 2.4 and a 5 visible and then connect the WiFi devices to the 5ghz? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes rename the SSID's to xxxx_2 & xxxx-5 to distinguish them - use the same password for each. then connect each device to the strongest signal.

For fastest speeds - 5 GHz is always better/faster and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although the 2.4 one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices like printers, doorbells, cameras, smartbulbs, etc can only use this one anyway.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Brilliant. I’ll try that tonight. In general, is it the Hub 3.0 that’s poor or are there better options out there?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Oh yes.... the Hub came from "Poundland"... there are many and much better solutions out there suitable for all budgets and levels of Tech ability. See my "sig" for what I use.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Okay. This is great advice. I really appreciate it. This is where I show how technically dim I am. Please forgive my rookie question… but can I simply replace that virgin hub and still have VM supply my broadband through the replacement hub? If so what should I look for in a replacement hub? And which are considered the best?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I will just copy below a post I have made before as it will give you some pointers.   Basically the Hub consists of... a modem, a router, a switch and wireless equipment. VM have it so that you cannot "replace" the Hub as such because only their modem can be used - you just set it to be in modem mode and get your own router and wireless equipment.  Or you can leave the Hub as is and just connect one or more wireless access points by ethernet cable - but that wont improve the poundland router's abilities 🙂

The cognoscenti will always say (correctly) that the best thing to to do is connect Wireless Access Points directly to the Hub or your own better router by ethernet cables. However some would say a good Mesh will be the best/simplest/most flexible for most average users who dont want to run ethernet cables. .  A Tri-band Mesh system is better for the "backhaul" and for users on high speed packages and umpteen simultaneous connections. Wifi6 is future proofing too.

Another option is to extend the ethernet connections (and wifi) via powerline adaptors - they work well for lots of people - including for my "gaming son" in his bedroom and they can be "cheap and cheerful".

It depends on your requirements for... better routing features, your house layout, size, construction materials, your tech abilities, and of course, budget, ~£40-80 will get a decent introductory wireless router but 'may' not alone solve the wifi in your house, but spending ~£500 will get the “Rolls Royce” solution of a high-end Wifi6 Router & WAP's or a top end Tri-band Mesh system with WiFi6 (may cost a bit more). You'll probably want something suitable - somewhere within that range - I reckon ~£100-150 is around the “sweet spot” for most standard users, and where you would probably need to start for a standard 2/3-story house if it has brick walls. Less for a one-bedroom modern build flat, more for a stone built 8 bedroom mansion

Good options for Access points/Wifi routers/Mesh systems come from Ubiquiti, Asus, TP-Link Deco's M4/M5, Linksys Velop's, Netgear Orbi's (and others) – I would stick with these companies whose business this is - rather than “newcomer” and data-driven” companies like Google, Amazon, etc. Also be sure the router or Mesh specifically says that they have 1GB ethernet ports - some of the cheaper ones only have 100Mbps ports. WiFi6 is also future proofing for faster connections.

Recently, just as an example... three of my friends who all live in brick built 3/4 bed semis, just got TP-Link Deco M5 3-packs (~£150) and all said it is - “absolutely brilliant with excellent wifi speeds in all rooms, the attic and the garden, and the App is a doddle to use”. The first Mesh unit becomes the new router - you need to check whether the one you look at has all the "features” you need. Ethernet ports are usually limited to 1 or 2/unit , so you “may” need to add in an unmanaged GB port switch (<£20) in there as well. My mates also get "full speeds" from the ethernet ports on the Deco's in the remote locations. Finally if you get a 2/3-pack of any Mesh system, which doesn’t cover dead spots everywhere, you can just add in extra unit(s).

Take a look at what fits your needs, tech ability, house layout and budget. Use sites like Techradar & Techadvisor for reviews of "Best Routers" or "Best Mesh". Post again if you want personal recommendations from others on your short list

--------------------
John
--------------------