Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Connectivity Problems

Hi,

Over the last few months our wifi connectivity has gone down hill. In other rooms in our house except the living room where the router is located there are issues with it. When watching videos, more often then not they are interupted by buffering. Websites are unable or slow to connect. Wifi connection drops out. Messages saying something like you don't appear to be connected to the internet, even though there is a wifi signal showing on my phone.

It has become very unreliable now to the point of using mobile data allowance to connect to the internet quickly and reliably.

The wifi used to be quite good but not anymore, please can anyone advise.

Thank you

Andrew.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: WiFi Connectivity Problems

What is your connection like with a direct connection using a Cat 5E/6 cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected.

VM Hubs are renowned for their poor Wi-Fi, and at the best of times Wi-Fi is a fickle beast that can be affected by numerous things such as distance from the Hub,  building construction, other electronic devices, neighbouring Wi-Fi, basically all sorts.

VM supply to the Hub, after the Hub it is up to you.

Many on here, myself included advocate the use of a third party Gigabit capable Wi-Fi router or Mesh system.

You may be as well refining your Wi-Fi management, it might not fix your problem but will certainly help keeping track of your Wi-Fi frequencies.

Instructions for Hub 3

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are. 

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you Wi-Fi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't usually use a cable for connection as it's not near my pc and not really practical for my laptop with the short cable.

What is the Hub 3 and how do I log into it?

Also I have heard the Virgin Media can supply wifi boosters free, I don't know how get those or how long it would take.

Thank you

Andrew.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Q. I don't usually use a cable for connection as it's not near my pc and not really practical for my laptop with the short cable.

A. Wi-Fi is not suitable for determining the status of your internet connection.

Q. What is the Hub 3 and how do I log into it?

A. The Hub 3 is the bit that connects you to the internet.

A. Type 192.168.0.1 into your browser URL bar and hit enter.

Also I have heard the Virgin Media can supply wifi boosters free, I don't know how get those or how long it would take.

If you want a 'good & stable' Wi-Fi signal throughout your property you would be as well purchasing a third party gigabit enabled router or mesh system.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can get long (10-20-50m) runs of Cat5e/6 cable for <£10 at the usual online places. Good to have in you tech drawer for testing occasions like these - or short term emergency cable connections.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've heard that the VM wifi boosters are quite good and do make a difference.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If they are "free" on your account they are worth getting. If they will charge you £3/mo they aren't.

Put those monies to getting your own better quality wireless equipment solution.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.