Menu
BigGB87
Settling in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Connection

I've been trying to get through to customer services about this issue and it all seems automated. So I'll try on here! 

My WiFi signal keeps dropping/going up and down in strength. Sometimes fully dropping on one device (my phone). The automated service on the phone pointed me in the direction of the app I ran a signal test in all my rooms and they are showing fine. It's saying I should be able to handle up to 10 devices (maybe 6 connected at most). 

Laptop drops signal as does my work phone. My own phone loses signal completely where freeze on video calls or streaming. Maybe times out for 10 - 30 seconds. You can see the WiFi bars on my devices going up and down. (On everything bar the laptop)

It has worked fine for months then around the turn of the year this problem has occurred and nothing has changed in terms of where the modem is placed in the house or different devices.

Any ideas? Or pointing me in the right direction to speak to someone about the problem rather than the usual reset the hub etc.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Connection

VM can't help you you need to get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@BigGB87 wrote:

Any ideas? Or pointing me in the right direction to speak to someone about the problem rather than the usual reset the hub etc.

The hub is not a good wifi router.  In addition to this, VM do not provide any guarantee about the performance/speed of wifi in the contract - it's a bit of a toxic mix 🙂

Have you done any testing with a device connected to the hub via ethernet?  Do the dropouts still happen?

The general recommendation around these forums is that, if your underlying connection is good, you should look to invest in your own wifi equipment that works reliably. 

You can, of course, try to get VM to send you a new hub out but there's no guarantee that it will perform any better than your current on - there are certainly a lot of complaints about wifi performance of the hub3 around here.  If it's just a wifi issue, it can also be a bit of a trial convincing VM that there's something wrong with your current hub - they'll tell you that there are too many devices connected, or that they're too far away from the router, or try to fob you off in any way they can.. 

0 Kudos
BigGB87
Settling in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The PlayStation is hooked up via the ethernet I did have a connection issue a while a go with this but seems fine now. It's a bit frustrating... If it's just a case of the hub being rubbish is there a router yous would recommend? 

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@BigGB87 wrote:

The PlayStation is hooked up via the ethernet I did have a connection issue a while a go with this but seems fine now. It's a bit frustrating... If it's just a case of the hub being rubbish is there a router yous would recommend? 

depends on property size, budget etc..

yes the hub is bad.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@BigGB87 wrote:

If it's just a case of the hub being rubbish is there a router yous would recommend? 

ZyXEL Armor G1 Multi-Gigabit AC2600 WiFi Router - Large Home Coverage. 1 x 2.5Gbps WAN Port, 4 x Gig...

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos