Menu
Highlighted
Jova54
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Boosters

Are WiFi Boosters available from Virgin to extend the range of the network in my house?

Are they free or is there a cost?

0 Kudos
GoodSamaritan
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Boosters

If you are having issues with the coverage of your virgin media WIFI download the Virgin Media connect APP. This is a great tool to use. Firstly use it to determine where your black spots are and the app will try and fix the issue on the router side. It only takes a few minutes. If you are still not getting a signal call 150 and have a chat. 

If you have Maxit TV, you can get an intelligent WiFi Booster to use at no extra cost. WiFi Boosters cost £3 extra a month for our other broadband customers who need one.

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Jova54
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have any issues with coverage in the main part of our house but I have an annex that I want to get than 1 bar coverage in so that I can set up a cycling trainer with Zwift connection.

I don't want to move the router but I would like to put in a booster that moves the router virtually closer to the annex.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can buy or rent a booster from VM, or just get one from Amazon etc.

The ones VM sell all appear to use your mains wiring - and assuming your annex uses the same RCU as the rest if the house should work fine.

There are extenders that use WiFi so you'd put one in between the VM Hub and your annex.  These may or may not work for your house

Best option is to put ethernet cable to the annex and put in an access point, but that involves more work/expense

0 Kudos
Jova54
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony.

Don't really want the expense of putting a network cable in so I'll have a look for mains boosters, presume I need a pair, or a WiFi extender. 

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes you'll need a pair unless you've aleady got some powerlines. Something like this or the Netgear ones on VM site

TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Exte...