Menu
jbrennand
Legend
Message 21 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Booster

Another option rather than use a second router is to just get a wireless access point and continue to use the Hub's ethernet ports.
e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ubiquiti+access+point&crid=1KW9CBBZ4JVH3&sprefix=ubiquit%2Caps%2C157&re...

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 22 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Two more options.

1. Run an Ethernet cable downstairs and connect a wireless access point to it (best solution)

2. Use homeplugs. These devolo dLAN 1200+ adapters even give you wireless as well.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 23 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes I did think of this, one like this would be best:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Networks-UAP-AC-LR-802-11ac-Dual-Radio/dp/B016K5A06C

But it is a lot of money (around the same price of another router) , would this extend the wireless range better (with fast speed) than a router?

As my house is victorian with a lot of walls and 3 stories?

@jbrennand wrote:
Another option rather than use a second router is to just get a wireless access point and continue to use the Hub's ethernet ports.
e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ubiquiti+access+point&crid=1KW9CBBZ4JVH3&sprefix=ubiquit%2Caps%2C157&re...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 26
Flag for a moderator

you are getting lots of answers - all are good but heres another which directly answers your 1st question 

can i connect devices to the hub and still use a router

yes

its not quite as simple as 1 2 3 but its not hard - its how i run my system as i also need connections near the hub - a switch would give that as said but its just another piece of kit

so

to leave the VM hub as it is you have to change a couple of settings in the new router

1 - you have to turn off DHCP

2 - you have to change its internal address

lets leave the instructions at that - if you want to do things that way i will talk you through it 

Tony
0 Kudos
mandy5643
Tuning in
Message 25 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Okay Tony thanks for the to the point answer!

I believe this would be my best option. Just to clarify my situation, I have the Virgin Hub 3 in my bedroom and are getting good speeds there but little to no speeds downstairs.

What router would you suggest would be best for extending the range through walls while keeping good speeds?

Would something like this be more efficient? :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016K5A06C/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

As in if I plug this in directly next to my router, will it increase the WiFi range more than the router does? Would this be a better option for my needs than a whole new router like the Asus RT-AC1200G or TP-LINK C7 AC1750 or would the router offer more range and stability?

Thanks

Mandy

@-tony- wrote:

you are getting lots of answers - all are good but heres another which directly answers your 1st question 

can i connect devices to the hub and still use a router

yes

its not quite as simple as 1 2 3 but its not hard - its how i run my system as i also need connections near the hub - a switch would give that as said but its just another piece of kit

so

to leave the VM hub as it is you have to change a couple of settings in the new router

1 - you have to turn off DHCP

2 - you have to change its internal address

lets leave the instructions at that - if you want to do things that way i will talk you through it 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dj999
Joining in
Message 26 of 26
Flag for a moderator

i think you'll need a wireless extender,
0 Kudos