Menu
Ahambramasmi
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

WiFi Analyzer playing tricks on me

I've been having issues with certain devices losing connectivity to the WiFi sporadically for the past year. All the devices are in different parts of the house. One is a laptop and one is a Roku. I do have smart phones as well, but I have unlimited data so I usually don't keep track whether I'm on WiFi or not to know if they were affected equally.

So I go to check my WiFi channel to see if it's probably on a congested signal. When I do the initial walk around the house checking, it says channel 1 is the best choice for 2.4ghz, and 144 is the best for 5ghz. So I make the changes and go to test again. Now it's saying Ch 5 and 36 are the best, and Ch 1 and 144 are zero stars. wth? So I switch back and it did it again. So I truly have no idea how I've made a difference. What gives? Also, side note, there are multiple routers popping up on the big 3 (1,6,11) so I know it's not just the Analyzer picking up my one device and using that as a reason to say the channel is bad.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: WiFi Analyzer playing tricks on me

Wireless environments change constantly, so the best channel can change accordingly, as other wireless Access Points in range able to change the broadcast channel especially if the auto channel feature is enabled

I am a bit surprised that the scanner recommends channel 5 on the 2.4GHz band as it is an overlapping channel overlapping with channels 1 and 6.
It is the overlapping that cause interference along with interference from a vast array of domestic gadgets which the scanner may not pick up.

I am even more surprised that the scanner recommends CH 144 on the 5GHz band as CH 144 is a funny channel that straddles Band B and C I am not sure if  CH 144 is available yet in this country as Ofcom are currently lifting Band C licencing ( It is not available on the Hub 3)

The efficiency of the scanner will depend on the quality of the algorithm used, so I wouldn't accept the results blindly without first checking the frequency graph myself

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

wifi scanners can only see wifi. There is 100's of other devices that are not wifi that uses the same frequencies.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Some wifi scanners offer a SNR function, so non 802.11 interference will be reflected in the SNR readout, however, these scanners are not common and how well they work is a matter of debate.

The one I tried out recently was rubbish, but did see some code on GitHub for a wireless scanner that tests the SNR on all channels that looked promising