cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi 5 & WiFi 6

clb03
Joining in

Hi, I want to get a new fire stick and the difference between the two I want is one is wifi 5 and one is WiFi 6. What is the difference between 5 & 6? Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@clb03 wrote:

Hi, I want to get a new fire stick and the difference between the two I want is one is wifi 5 and one is WiFi 6. What is the difference between 5 & 6? Thanks 

In simple terms, WiFi 6 is more powerful than WiFi 5.  But it needs a WiFi 6 router to use that higher efficiency. 

If there is a good WiFi signal where the firestick is to be fitted then the WiFi 5 version will be quite adequate. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@clb03 wrote:

In simple terms, WiFi 6 is more powerful than WiFi 5.  But it needs a WiFi 6 router to use that higher efficiency. 

If there is a good WiFi signal where the firestick is to be fitted then the WiFi 5 version will be quite adequate. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

WiFi 6 version should automatically fall back to WiFi 5 if no 6 is available, so to future proof yourself, go for the 6 version.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @clb03 

It's a great time to grab a wifi 6 firestick whilst the black friday and cyber monday deals are on. You would be future proofing the firestick for when wifi 6 does take off fully in this country. The firestick will still work with the current VM hubs but you won't get wifi 6 speeds yet on VM as they don't  have  wifi six hubs 

The following page explains the differences

https://www.spiceworks.com/tech/networking/articles/wifi-five-vs-wifi-six/ 

Although  with the correct equipment (router/hub wise) which is expensive  you will get faster speeds, there is a trade off -  less signal strength so wifi signals can be weaker and won't travel as far.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The VM Hub5 is wifi6 - but you can only get that by upgrading to the 1GB package.

Or... use an older VM Hub in modem mode with your own wifi6 router - good basic ones start at £50-60

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

All the above comments are perfectly true, but just to be clear the WiFi 5 Firestick will work, now and in the future with an upgraded Hub.

So if the cost is a critical factor, take that into account. 

- jpeg1

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi clb03, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I understand that you want information regarding the WiFi 5 and 6 and I am glad to see that the community has assisted with this. 

Please let us know if you require any further information. 

Kind regards, Chris.