cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi drops ethernet ok

peel
Tuning in

Hi,

my wi-fi drops but a hard wired pc is ok. I seem to have a strong wi-fi connection but do not seem to be connected to the internet. I can connect to another wireless access point with a weaker signal via the hub and connect to the internet straight away. if I go back to the hub 3 i can then connect back to the internet. This happens with other wireless devices as well. any advice would be appreciated. thanks. 

27 REPLIES 27

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Reece_MH wrote:

I've ran some further checks on the account and can see that the Hub still hasn't been rebooted in over 2 weeks. 

Just what is VM longest max uptime for these hubs? Shorter then the max DHCP lease time? So no testing of renewal.

I'm at 445days uptime.😜

---------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried re-booting the hub as suggested but still have the same issues. I can connect to the wi-fi but not the internet yet the hard wired connection is ok. 

BE04CB65-1788-4CED-A043-D073E72E4104.jpeg

Good morning peel,

Thanks for coming back to us. Can you click 'forget network' then reconnect to it using the password?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Tried to use my iPad sat 3m from the hub with no stable connection.  i’ve forgotten network on my phone and reconnected, this seems ok temporarily for a while  and now tonight no BB not even a hard wired connection. Pretty much had enough . considering moving provider now, i may try an engineer visit but if the hard witted connection is ok when they visit will there be any point? begging to think we have several issues with Virgin. Should i switch it in and off again!!!!! 

Hi @peel

Thanks for coming back to us. I am sorry to hear it's not sorted. Upon doing a system check, you do need a tech visit. On the Upstream one of the levels isn't right, could potentially be at the cabinet. I'll PM you now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi @peel

Just an update, you don't now need a tech visit. You are affected by an SNR (signal to noise ratio) fault in your area. F009936713 - this is the fault reference. Estimated fix date is the 11th July at 9am.

Keep monitoring it after this date/time and let me know any issues.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

we have waited for the wide area issue to be resolved and had intermittent service m since the last post. i hope compensation is automatically provided for those effected from a long term lack of service?  My issue however, still remains, equipment connected to the wi-fi but nothing happens. i can go on a hard wired connection or move to a hard wired wi-fi connection (old airport express i wish to remove) and have service yet the virgin hub has no internet connection through wi-fi, i think we need a new hub and or extender, i have noticed my neighbour has a virgin extender so guess they have had similar issues. 

btw the wide area fault you mentioned has taken weeks to fix! 

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Peel, 

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

I am very sorry for any inconvenience or frustration caused by this issue. 

I have checked on things from our side and can see the outage is now showing as resolved. 

We have also ran a health check on your service and everything does appear to be running within specification. As this is a live check, can you please let us know how things have been since your last post to us?

For information regarding our Automatic Compensation Scheme, please see here

Thanks, 

Nat

This was posted by a member of the Forum Team some way back:

Thanks for confirming that. I've ran some checks on our end and there are no issues being identified on your network. However, I can see your Hub has been online for a significant period of time - this can cause a large stream of issues, including intermittent WiFi. Can you please trying rebooting your Hub and seeing if the connection improves?

What on earth was that about?  It would be a scandal if :"...Hub has been online for a significant period of time - this can cause a large stream of issues".

What "large stream of issues?  Is the Hub 4 firmware so bad that everyone who hasn't rebooted it will suffer a "large stream of issues"?

I'll bet that the VM bods won't elaborate and would be delighted if they do.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)