cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-fi booster for hub 5

UKViking
Tuning in

I recently upgraded to hub 5 but my WiFi signal is weak downstairs (hub is on top floor of 3 storey house).

I rang Virgin and they told me it would cost £5 a month if they send me a booster, but it would be free if I use the Virgin Connect app to order it.

However, the app only works for Hub 3 !!

Is there some other way I can get a free Virgin wi-fi booster sent to me?

20 REPLIES 20

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM now supply “wifi Pods” (no longer doing “boosters”). Pods are only free to customers on 1GB, Ultimate Oomph or Volt packages. But... as you have a Hub5 - it wont work for you - the firmware is not written yet !! - partly why VM are not giving Hub5's to customers on 1GB packages - as they are entitled to "free" Pods  - that wont work - yes....really...   go figure !

So if you want better wifi.. get either a… (1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) Powerline adapters, (5) A combination of (2,3,4)

£40-100 should sort it for most users.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Mostly everyone wants better wifi and they all look to VM....and want it for free...
---------------------------------------------------------------

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @UKViking

Welcome back to the forums and thank you for coming back to us. 

I am sorry to hear that you are having, some issues with your WiFi connection. 

You would benefit from the WiFi boosters however what you have been informed is incorrect, the connect app isn't currently Compatible with the hub 5. You would need to get bac in touch with the technical support team to order them.

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

@legacy1 wrote:
Mostly everyone wants better wifi and they all look to VM....and want it for free...

Maybe people expect a decent wifi package/router to be in with the price they already pay for. 

Its funny that mobile phone companies can give you a £1500 mobile phone in with the contract, but VM can't give you a £300 quality wifi router with their contracts, but bargain basement routers.

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

Its funny that mobile phone companies can give you a £1500 mobile phone in with the contract, but VM can't give you a £300 quality wifi router with their contracts, but bargain basement routers.

Sure but then you and everyone needs to pay more for broadband and will not so we get a cheap router mode option that no one likes so only if everyone buy 1Gb at the price then maybe we get a better router mode. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

Maybe people expect a decent wifi package/router to be in with the price they already pay for. 

Most phone contracts split the handset cost from the airtime plan these days even when they then quote both as the total monthly cost.

You won't get a £1500 phone included in your airtime plan payment.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Personally I rather like the cheap pound shop VM hubs. In my experience that work very well as modems and let me choose what networking equipment I want. I appreciate that a large number of VM customer are fine with the hubs as supplied.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Over an 18 month contract, a £300 router is £16 plus change a month. Say for the bargain basement 1 costs £5 a month, would people be willing to pay £11 a month extra for better router?

The price should be less than that as you are renting the router, not buying it at the moment.

You would also expect the latest router every 18months when you start a new contract

If everyone has decent wifi, then you are less likely to get people phoning up and complaining about bad wifi which also means less wages paid out by VM as they need less tech support people. WIN WIN for everyone then, we get better wifi and VM dont pay as much wages.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Fine, but you would get the router VM wanted you to have. I would much rather choose my own equipment and I think a lot of other users would as well.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2