cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi working but no internet

Roger31
Joining in

After a local power cut was restored we found that we have lost our internet. And it’s not clear what I should be doing about it. The website says no known external issues. We use the hub as a bridge to an efficient mesh system. But without internet we have nothing. I have rebooted. Uff! The automatic testing on the web using my phone says everything is fine at our address. But it really isn’t.

Oh dear, what do I do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If it is in router mode - the red light means that the hub is either overheating or thinks it is overheating (faulty sensor)

Either way - needs replacing!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What Hub model is it and what are various lights doing - flashing? colour?

As well as trying the “check service,” Area status webpage", also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It’s a hub 3. There’s a red light at the bottom, a solid red.

I’ll try the phone info number, thanks.

If it is in router mode - the red light means that the hub is either overheating or thinks it is overheating (faulty sensor)

Either way - needs replacing!

Does some effective hired hand see this stuff, and notice that I have a duff hub? Or do I have to brave the ghastliness of call centre music to get help?

Your vast experience would inform my next move. I’m getting a bit desperate.

VM forum staff will pick this up - They're very good but it can take them a day or so!

I'd call it in on 150
It'll ask you to reboot the hub (as you already have done - don't)
You will then be cut off
Wait a couple of minutes
Call 150 again - report a broadband fault - The system will recognise that you called before and transfer you to a person! - (mention that the hub is hot - or they will try and fob you off)

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is the Hub actually in modem mode connected to your own router or Mesh?

Or is it in normal wifi router mode? Can you add a photo of the light?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I can’t do I picture of the solid red light I’m afraid. There’s a professional training going on around the hub. Awkward to intrude.

It’s connected to mesh. Modem modem I hope. I rejoiced when I could move on from the patchy booster supported WiFi ghastliness. Worked very well until now. So not in WiFi router mode, I don’t think.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK if in modem mode the light is "officially" Magenta - looks red to many people - so thats probably fine and it not overheating - unless it is hot to the touch ?

Post up more details of what the issues are - speeds? disconnects? on wif? on ethernet? etc that make you think the Hub is duff - and is it working ok for the professional training?

--------------------
John
--------------------

You were exactly right. Is this all scripted? I got through to someone who cut me off when he’d just asked me to hold on while he went to do more research. So I phoned again, after a short interval, as you suggested. I was served by someone who had what I found was an impenetrable accent. I was cut off just after I said that I couldn’t understand what the agent was saying.

I got a call back a few minutes later, from a person who dropped the call just after their introduction.

I’m still waiting for the next round. Why don’t they just resolve stuff?