cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi problems and cancelling contract

Jodz
Joining in

I have been kicked of Wi-Fi every day since the 10th July, I have had 4 engineers out they have changed my router and to box and it’s still happen, I work from home and need the internet. I have tried to cancel my contract and they have said I need to pay 200 to get out of a service that I’m not getting so I’m refusing. I have contacted god knows how many times and fobbed off every time I call, my last call was yesterday to be told I would get a manger to call me with in 24 hours guess what no call this has now happened twice. All they want to do it fob me off and run a test or send a engineer out. Where do they draw a line and let me cancel without a fee because this is stressing me out and it’s in fair, I have made numerous complaints and none have been answered 

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You're using the term "wifi" as though that's what VM supply.  In fact that's the one thing they don't supply - they supply a broadband (and possibly TV/phone) package, and a hub that's capable of providing wifi, which is that last few metres between the hub and wireless devices.  As VM would normally brush off wifi complaints as not their problem, I'm guessing you mean you have an unreliable broadband connection?  If you are, the following comments apply.

Under the Fairness Commitments that Ofcom drew up and VM signed back in 2019, they agreed with the regulator that customers could leave fixed term contracts without penalty where the company could not resolve problems in a reasonable time scale.  As with most of the rest of the commitments, VM don't bother themselves too much with complying with the details.  You're also entitled to leave a services contract without penalty if there are problems that can reasonably be argued to show that the provider has not delivered the service with reasonable care and skill (Consumer Rights Act 2015).  You're also entitled to compensation for the protracted nature of the problem and poor customer service, perhaps around £200, based on my reading of the adjudicators guide for compensation.  In your situation, I think that if the problems have been going on for an unreasonably long time, since VM have had multiple efforts to resolve the matter then agreeing cancellation without penalty and compensation is an entirely appropriate outcome.  This forum is perhaps VM's last chance saloon before you take the matter to the industry complaints adjudicator, CISAS.

If you can clarify whether this is broadband or wifi that'll help us give the most suitable advice, and you can also see if the forum staff (who have some visibility to the contacts you've had with VM already) will arrange an agreeable settlement before I explain the process by which a complaint can be taken to CISAS. 

So sorry that was my mistake yeah I meant the broadband it’s done my head in trying to fight with them I don’t know if I’m coming or going now, and with no communication from them when promised. It’s just a joke never would I recommend VM to anyone 

Hey Jodz, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you've been having some major connection issues.

I understand this is not ideal and is very frustrating, however, I can see you have been speaking to the team about this issue, have they managed to get this resolved for you? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt

No still having the same problem and still notes been done about it , I feel they are just fobbing me off all of the time 

Sorry to hear that this is still ongoing for you. 

Do you have any issues with your wired devices at all or is the only concern you have with your WiFi connections?

It could be that your home requires boosters or extenders to help boost your WiFi signal further into the areas of your home that have a weak/unstable. You can use the connect app to scan your home for any of these areas, then if needed you can order our own WiFi pods to help with this. 

If you have our WiFi pods already, the connect app will be able to advise if your existing pods are positioned correctly. Do not place Extenders near the outside walls of the home. The Extender should not be blocked by metal, placed near mirrors or placed in the path of thick construction material that can attenuate the WiFi signal. If possible, reposition the Extenders to be closer to the core/middle of the home.

You can find more information on our WiFi pods and connect app here. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi 

it’s both because it’s now affecting my TV when I try and record and that’s wired I have also had my TV box changed with virgin and no change, I have a pod and still it’s happening, it’s not about the strength it’s just kicking everything off the internet anything from once to 5 times a day. 

Thank you for letting us know @Jodz

I have had a look into your hub data and everything seems fine and in working order. To best help please try troubleshooting your wifi pod as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/virgin-media-wifi-not-working. Please also try reboot the TV box as seen here and let us know if the issue persists https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/reboot-tv

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi 

I have tried everything you have said many times and it’s still happening the internet kicks me off the internet from once a day to 5 times a days, it will put me back on but it can take a while . 

if I check the app it will tell me it’s fine as well but I can assure you it’s not. 

I have be told that an Ofcom complaint is being processed but that seems to be the same excuse every time I call a long with I will get a manger to call you back with in 24 hours and still waiting for that manager to call 2 weeks down the line. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jodz, 

I am sorry to hear this and I would like to take a closer look into this for you. I will pop you over a PM, keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Zoie