cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi Fi pods and lights.

Davebatch1
On our wavelength

Evening.

Received a wi fi booster pod today and the instructions are abysmal.

I've plugged in upstairs..... the lights have cycled from a turquoise, to a solid blue, to a solid green. Now it is blinking white on and off.

Does this mean it is working? I have absolutely no clue what each light means.

Only point to note is that I only use my Hub 3 as a modem and use one of the below for the actual wi fi / router.

TP-Link Archer A7 AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Cable Router, Combined Wi-Fi Speed Up to 1750 Mbps, 4 Gigabit LAN Ports, 1 USB Port, Supports OneMesh, Parental Control, Guest Wi-Fi, AP Mode, VPN https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00416PTDW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_6H9ST2EGZRHNV7AK1P9J?_encoding=UTF8...

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is the Hub3 in modem mode and the TP-Link is doing the routing and wifi? Or is the TP-Link in Access mode? If so why? The TP-Link router will be a quantum jump over the bargain basement Hub3. Mind you - their Pods only work if you have the Hub in normal router mode.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Right.

I'm no tech expert but I believe the hub is In modem mode as everything is connected to TP link, though my wi fi is still poor upstairs.

I did have the old style boosters connected to the HUB 3 up to earlier today and they were doing the job upstairs.

I was told the pod would be better and was sent one for free.

An hour after plugging it in it seems to flash between a blinking white light for 5 mins or so, then a blinking green light.

There seems to be no explanation of these lights anywhere..... really really poor, as are the installation instructions.

So, should I just stick with the old boosters and send this new pod back then??

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
The pods do not work with the Hub in modem mode. But I am surprised you actually need them. I wonder if they are set up correctly. Can you try this procedure. First turn off the Pod and put it away for now. Also unplug the boosters for now then do this
---------------------------------

Set up your own route (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your router and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode ...
( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )
... and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your own router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Sorry, I know you are trying to be really helpful,  however this part 

"Set up your own route (in its settings) to have the WAN port set to be in DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway."

Went way over my head ..... Ive tried the settings and come across this (see pic).... but nothing else.

I'll try your other steps though, see if that sorts my issues.  Thank you.

Screenshot_20210726-205444_Chrome.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your image was rejected as it contains private info (i.p.address etc).

If you look in the manual/instruction book for the Archer it should say how to have it in DHCP mode. It will be a little different on all routers - someone else may be able to tell you exactly where it is on yours, but it will be somewhere in the Network/Internet Settings.

This picture is how mine looks - it is set to DHCP from the drop down at the right of it.

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 00.56.02.png

--------------------
John
--------------------