cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi is terrible (200Mb)

AS6
Dialled in

Alright,

My Wi-Fi is absolutely **bleep**. It is supposed to give me 213/20 (D/U) and I am getting 70 in my living room as for wireless and this is my download speed. Upstairs I get 20. When wired using powerline networking, I am getting fluctuating speeds that might peak at 200 just for a split-second but then instantly drop down to 5 the next second.

I can't play on my Xbox without the Wi-fi either:

A) Kicking me out of the session

B) The Wifi turning off fully even though it is turned on

I called a person and she said that they would call back and give details to help me yet I did not receive a call and then afterwards when i called back again after being blasted by the music and my left ear on life support, i got through to someone that i couldn't hear properly so i asked for them to move their mic just for them to put me on hold and then end the call. 

This is a call for help,

Please, give me my promised speeds.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lotharmat
Community elder

@AS6 wrote:

Ok, via pure ethernet so from the box the speeds are fine. The issue is with when I use powerline networking or just go wireless, the speeds fluctuate and fall off a cliff.

In that case - you have a wireless issue and as mentioned VM don't guarantee wireless speeds!

BT _try to_ where they charge you £10 per month rental for a mesh solution.. And if that doesn't work - you return it and stop paying the £10..

VM's solution is the pods which as @Jbrennand says are £5 per month per pod.

Personally - I would always get my own router - much better config and coverage  - fewer headaches!

Sorry that this probably isn't the answer you were looking for - you could separate the bands thus:

Type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

This may help - but may not - a lot depends on the WiFi environment you are in - are there more powerful routers nearby broadcasting on the same channel as you? A decent WiFi analyser App will help to diagnose this!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

lotharmat
Community elder
Powerline networking is always bleep!

What speeds are you getting direct from the hub with an ethernet connection? - Let's rule a broadband issue out first!

Well what does it matter what I get from Ethernet directly from the hub as it got placed right at the front door by the very smart engineer himself!! I can get like 200 if its wired but I'm not gonna get a 10m wire to drag through from one end of the house to the other! And what about the ABSOLUTELY [REMOVED ] Wireless speeds????

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It matters because if wired connections are all fine and stable then your issues are most likely caused by wifi issues and different solution applies.

If it is a wifi only issue, then on a Hub3, you can try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" apply and save the settings. All wifi devices will need reconnecting to the best SSID at each location. Also use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just select and use channels 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz) - this often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address the wifi, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

lotharmat
Community elder
A lot - VM (and no other provider) guarantee WiFi speeds

There are myriad factors that affect WiFi sped and reliability.

Help me help you - What speeds are you getting via ethernet? Let's see if we can narrow it down to a WiFi issue!

So, how do I fix my Wi-Fi? I have rebooted it and tried running diagnostics on it but it says it is fine. You have completely failed to respond with an appropriate solution as to how I can fix it both wired and wireless. As when its wired with powerline networking its fluctuating but wired to the box its ok, and wireless is just awful.

How do i do the SSID channel thing? Secondly, I'm not gonna pay for something I should already have.

Ok, via pure ethernet so from the box the speeds are fine. The issue is with when I use powerline networking or just go wireless, the speeds fluctuate and fall off a cliff.

lotharmat
Community elder

@AS6 wrote:

In that case - you have a wireless issue and as mentioned VM don't guarantee wireless speeds!

BT _try to_ where they charge you £10 per month rental for a mesh solution.. And if that doesn't work - you return it and stop paying the £10..

VM's solution is the pods which as @Jbrennand says are £5 per month per pod.

Personally - I would always get my own router - much better config and coverage  - fewer headaches!

Sorry that this probably isn't the answer you were looking for - you could separate the bands thus:

Type in 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. You;ll then need to enter your hub's setting password (this can be found on the bottom of the hub).

Once you've access the dashboard, you'll need to go to advanced settings and then wireless - security. From there, you just need to change the SSIDs of both the 2.4ghz and the 5ghz signal to different names, you can just add on 2G and 5G to the end of the current network name.

Hit Save and then it should work!

Bear in mind that you'll have to reconnect all of your devices to the new SSIDs

This may help - but may not - a lot depends on the WiFi environment you are in - are there more powerful routers nearby broadcasting on the same channel as you? A decent WiFi analyser App will help to diagnose this!

Hey @AS6,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post on our forums.

I'm really sorry to hear of the issue that you're having at the moment with your connection, I have located your account and can see that there is an issue with your downstream power levels that would need a technician visit to resolve the issues.

Before we can book the visit for you, we would need to confirm a few details via a private message that I will drop over in a moment.

Regards,

Steven_L