Menu
HomeUser91
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wi Fi drops out when boiler fires up

Just listening to music on Bose speaker from phone.  Every time the boiler fires up, the music stops for a number of seconds then comes back on again.  This didn't seem to affect WiFi on tablet or other devices.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi Fi drops out when boiler fires up

It does sound like some kind of temporary interference issue.  Try changing your Wi-Fi channel in the Hub's menus ...

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It would seem to be a fault with the boilers electrics. I should get this seen to ASAP, as the problem may be more than it seems on the surface particularly if it has just started to happen. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

It would seem to be a fault with the boilers electrics. I should get this seen to ASAP, as the problem may be more than it seems on the surface particularly if it has just started to happen. 

whilst that is sound advise, it may not be the actual boiler causing the issue, but the roomstat (assuming it's RF or WIFI controller).
the roomstat would send a signal to the control control via RF or WIFI to start the boiler, and thus may be the trigger for the virgin WIFI dropping.

0 Kudos
HomeUser91
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  I have two questions about your reply:

How should I choose a channel? Is one "end" likely to be less prone to interference than the other?

Why do Virgin Media recommend that you don't set a channel manually?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
HomeUser91
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - we don't have any room stats in the house - all our radiators are controlled by TRVs - and certainly nothing RF or WiFi based.
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so you have no temperature control in your house? ie no dial on the wall or anything like that?
if you don't then you must be spending a fortune on heating!

what's triggering the boiler to fire up if you don't have any room temperature control? it won't be the TRVs.

0 Kudos
HomeUser91
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I believe it's the temperature of the return water - this is set on the boiler and it won't fire up unless this is lower than the threshold that has been set.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The boiler will have its own internal thermostat. If that is arcing it will create a pulse of interference. You'll hear this on an AM radio too. The thermostat should have a capacitor fitted to reduce this interference.

0 Kudos