cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi disconnects

Netty64
Joining in

Wi-Fi disconnects or buffers during programs ie Amazon. I have Sony tv (smart). I purchased Orbi 156 to extend the Wi-Fi signal downstairs. This appears to drop off intermittently. I can’t get my virgin hub to pick up in my living room hence the Orbi. I have an Orbi router and two satellites and both satellites will flash and disconnect to the internet. I have also purchased plug in Wi-Fi extenders. I am at a loss what to do. VM test my router and say it is fine. I am on a hub 3. I get Wi-Fi upstairs as it is close to the router also I connected via Ethernet cable to reduce any risk of disconnection. I am looking at moving my hub although where I read I need to move it to does not have power and will involve an electrician and longer coax cable from the box coming in the wall to the hub. When I read the info I these forums I am at a loss. I am a visual learner and therefore unless see directions in different formats it does not make sense to me. Please help 🙏

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for the further information @Netty64 

In this case, we would advise running tests on our connect app https://virg.in/connectapp The tests can identify black spots or any other wifi-based issues. It can also advise where best to place the wifi pods and recommend if you need any more. 

Please let us know how you get on this and we will do our best to help.

You may also find the following link useful https://virg.in/wifisos 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

g0akc
Problem sorter
  • Do you see the disconnections with Ethernet (wired) connections?
    • There's little point trying to fix WiFi disconnections if the broadband itself is failing
  • Who in Virgin Media 'tested' the router and said it was fine?  Was this the CS (phone) agents? Their diagnostics are not great.  Did a technician come out? 
  • Are you able to look at the statistics on the hub pages at 192.168.0.1 ?  What do they show?
  • Can you set up a BQM and put a link to it here.  There are details on these forums and at thinkbroadband.  see here 
  • I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of moving your router/hub until other things are ruled out - only move it if it's inconvenient or there's a proven wireless issue that can't be resolved by other means.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the reply.  It to over complain things I have plugged my tv into a plug in Ethernet connected Wi-Fi extender which has the other one connected to my VM hub upstairs. Cross fingers no drol yet although it is only 30 mins. The people who diagnosed the issue were the telephone operators (who said no issue)although I did speak to an engineer who was working elsewhere for advise and he said disconnect it contact virgin who would then diagnose it wasn’t working and then send someone out. That was working well but after that was arranged I reconnected the hub and within a few days I was sent a message from VM who said everything was ok and cancelled my engineer visit. Hence why I am doing my own detective work again. I have my freeview box connected directly to my Orbi although I am not sure if that will drop out also as that was disconnecting. It’s a confusing setup and initially I was ok but now lost to make sure I am not over complicating things. Downstairs is just pants without any additional help. It was ok for a few years and then 4 yrs ago it went rubbish and I have been trying new things to sort it since 

Just to add the first part of my previous reply has posted incorrectly due to predictive text. I meant to say not to over complicate things. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

@Netty64 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It to over complain things I have plugged my tv into a plug in Ethernet connected Wi-Fi extender which has the other one connected to my VM hub upstairs. Cross fingers no drol yet although it is only 30 mins. The people who diagnosed the issue were the telephone operators (who said no issue)although I did speak to an engineer who was working elsewhere for advise and he said disconnect it contact virgin who would then diagnose it wasn’t working and then send someone out. That was working well but after that was arranged I reconnected the hub and within a few days I was sent a message from VM who said everything was ok and cancelled my engineer visit. Hence why I am doing my own detective work again. I have my freeview box connected directly to my Orbi although I am not sure if that will drop out also as that was disconnecting. It’s a confusing setup and initially I was ok but now lost to make sure I am not over complicating things. Downstairs is just pants without any additional help. It was ok for a few years and then 4 yrs ago it went rubbish and I have been trying new things to sort it since 

I'm afraid I've rather lost the plot. I'm not clear what setup you're using - a diagram might help.

Where does the Orbi fit in?  Is that the WiFi extender you mention?  What model is it?

VM telephone agents saying 'all is fine' doesn't necessarily mean that there's not an issue somewhere.  Starting from square one, are wired connections (Ethernet direct to the hub) okay?  Do they drop?  Start from there and move on to check the wireless environment as I've already suggested.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Hey Netty64, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear you are having some connection issues.

I have taken a look from our side and I can't see any major issues at all, your levels are looking great.

We also can't guarantee out equipment would work with any 3rd party and when it does it won't work 100%.

A WIFI pod which is made for your hub may help with this instead of the 3rd party one.

The best way to get a pod order is download the Virgin Connect app, from here do a scan.

If the scan picks up that you need a pod it will allow you to order some.

However they can be chargeable depending what package you on.

They are free on Volt, 1GB or Oomph bundles. 

Please let me know how you get on. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi mar when started to experience drop out issues Virgin didn’t sell any or advise on any Wi-Fi extenders. My issues have gone on a lot longer than what I initially reported but kept putting up with it. I initially started with the plug in extenders but due to my lack of understanding I felt they didn’t work hence the expense in Orbi which did start to work but now also drops out hence I wanted an experienced person from virgin to come out and check positions of hub etc and advise on any particular changes I may need to make. When I had the cable fitted some 22 years ago to this house the modem (now hub) was fitted upstairs in a spare room which I used for my pc and the cable tv separate downstairs. Obviously over the years things have changed more Wi-Fi items are used in the house and there may be conflicts that I don’t understand how to correct. As I have some items already purchased I didn’t want to purchase something else that my or may not resolve the problem yet. I will be open to purchase once all other avenues have worked. It seems to play up when I use my Amazon stick and my freeview box both on demand programs does this make any sense Cheers 

Thank you for the further information @Netty64 

In this case, we would advise running tests on our connect app https://virg.in/connectapp The tests can identify black spots or any other wifi-based issues. It can also advise where best to place the wifi pods and recommend if you need any more. 

Please let us know how you get on this and we will do our best to help.

You may also find the following link useful https://virg.in/wifisos 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs