cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi Transmit Power, Hub 5 vs Hub 3?

jonnyc1944
On our wavelength

Regarding the Hub 5, how is the Wi-Fi transmit power vs the Hub 3? Documentation seems too hard for me to find. Any ideas?

Does the Hub 5 have adjustable Wi-Fi power? 

I'm conscious of EMF. And yes, there are many good quality studies showing biological effects that can happen at non-ionising and 'non-thermal' levels. 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

All WiFi routers have the same output power limit, which is much lower than e.g. a mobile phone.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

All WiFi routers have the same output power limit, which is much lower than e.g. a mobile phone.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jonnyc1944
On our wavelength

Thank you jpeg1 for the quick reply. That's good to know.

For OCD sakes then, the Hub 3 and the Hub 5 both share the same Wi-Fi power output limit?

Thanks!

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes.  Nominally 100mW.

- jpeg1

jonnyc1944
On our wavelength

Great, thanks jpeg1!

Don't confuse transmission power with speed capabilities or range.  That depends on the number and design of antenna, whether the router has beam steering, along with considerations for the protocol used (ie Wifi 6 vs 802.11ac), channel width, the frequency of the signal, and device characteristics (plus of course environmental variables).  This is why a premium brand router usually wipes the floor with any ISP hub.

The Hub 5 is an unsophisticated commodity Wifi 6 router, so won't be setting any range records, on the other hand it's a more competent wifi device than the 2016 vintage Hub 3 (or it will be when the firmware's finished).