cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Wi-Fi showing as Amazon Wi-Fi instead of Virgin Wi-Fi ?

COSGROE1
Tuning in

My Wi-Fi is showing as Amazon Wi-Fi and not Virgin Wi-Fi can anyone help or is this to do with the Amazon echo I use etc ?

8 REPLIES 8

g0akc
Problem sorter
  • Have you got Amazon devices such as eero installed? (Amazon Echo are smart speakers and shouldn't be showing any network name of their own).
  • Is your hub in modem mode?
  • Are you sure it's your network - not your neighbours?
  • Do you see the SSID (network name) shown on your hub at all?  Have you changed it in the hub settings?
  • Aside from the list showing in your devices when you go to connect, try using a wifi analyser app to see what SSID are present in your location.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Yes I do have an Echo show and an echo dot attached to the Wi-Fi 

@COSGROE1 wrote:

Yes I do have an Echo show and an echo dot attached to the Wi-Fi 

But they are ‘receiving’ devices that use WiFi - not devices that provide it.

If you’re not using an Amazon router or mesh system it’s back to the other points I suggested.

Are your devices actually using an Amazon named connection?  Not something like VM12345678 ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

No I signed them in to normal Virgin Wi-Fi as you have said VM 12345678 

@COSGROE1 wrote:

No I signed them in to normal Virgin Wi-Fi as you have said VM 12345678 

So what's the issue then?

How's the wifi showing as 'Amazon' ?

Send/attach a photo or screenshot...

FF3FD14C-C543-4887-9599-3267BF894ABB.png

Right

First guess is an invalid IP address look up.

find your public IP address - say from whatsmyip

then enter into a tool like this;

https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip-demo

see what that shows

It could be that the speed checker is running the check against your amazon device
What I would do is switch off all devices except VM devices