cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Ethernet Speed limited to 100mbps?

DanielWM96
Joining in

So I was checking my HUB settings and noitced both my Ethernet connections are only on 100mbps which I though was weird, I am using CAT8 cables and I am on a 350 speed package. Is there a reason why its not going over 100mbps? Some of my Wi-Fi connections are way over 100.

https://i.imgur.com/PwJGrZo.jpg

ethernet2.png

9 REPLIES 9

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DanielWM96,

Thanks for your post on the forums. 

This isn't an issue I've come across before - can you please try a factory reset of the router if you haven't already, and test the speeds again? 

Let me know how that goes.

Beth

Beth

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Some laptops have NICs or Ethernet ports limited to 100Mbps.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Or you’re only using a CAT5 cable and not CAT5e or CAT6

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

voicon
Up to speed

Looking at the image one of them is a LG TV which could more than likely be a 100mb NIC.

What is the make and model of the other device?

‐------------‐--------‐------------‐--------‐------------‐--------‐------------‐--------‐------------‐--------‐------------‐--------‐------------‐--------
My Hardware: Super Hub 3, Ubiquiti USG, 4 x Unifi APs, 7 x Unifi switches, 1 x Unifi Cloud Key 2

My Services: Vivid 350, Sky Q everything package 🙂

I am having a similar problem trying to connect access points which are rated to over 1gb/s but are only showing up 60mb/s on the 500mb plan. my wifi is showing 500mb/s

@harrywilson4321 wrote:

I am having a similar problem trying to connect access points which are rated to over 1gb/s but are only showing up 60mb/s on the 500mb plan. my wifi is showing 500mb/s

That 1Gbps speed is a theoretical throughput speed only.

Plus you already have a thread on-going.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

But nobody has answered this guys question thought I would help, my device is rated well over the speed it’s been limited at

this is what the forums are for, hopefully next time someone has this issue they will see our eventual solution 

You're wasting your time here in afraid. If you look back at the original post, it clearly states that the OP is using CAT 8 cabling, yet one of the responses suggests the OP is using CAT 5 instead of CAT 5e / 6.

Just doesn't make sense.

The next post will tell you to do a pinhole reset.

@vmrunreliable wrote:

You're wasting your time here in afraid. If you look back at the original post, it clearly states that the OP is using CAT 8 cabling, yet one of the responses suggests the OP is using CAT 5 instead of CAT 5e / 6.

Just doesn't make sense.

The next post will tell you to do a pinhole reset.

Some folks won't have fully read the earlier posts, or will assume an errors has been made.

The best approach normally to such issues is to do some methodical troubleshooting;

• Connect directly to the hub with a known good, fast device and cable.  Disconnect other Ethernet cables.  See what that gives.
  • Work out from there - checking any switches, cables etc. as you go.
  • Try disconnecting devices one by one, and so on
  • Try another speed test site too - I recall VM advise Samknows
  •  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!