cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my broadband separated back into 2.5 and 5 kHz?

HankPaul
Tuning in

Why has my broadband separated back into 2.5 and 5 kHz networks? A few weeks ago Virgin announced the improvement to auto frequency selection. It gave me probs then & giving me probs now. Powered box down and restart but same separation.

1 REPLY 1

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Unless you turn them off individually or rename them, by the default VM hub settings there's always 2.4 and 5 GHz network signals that use the same network name.

You can go into the hub settings and change the settings as you see fit (if you're comfortable making changes), if you simply want the hub to broadcast using VM's default wireless settings, then you just need to do a reset.  My own and other people's experience has been that this requires a bit of care - the link says to use a pen, the ones I had to hand were too thick and wouldn't go in far enough, so an unbent paper clip had to be used.  Also, hold the pin (or whatever) in, pressing moderately hard and keep it there for thirty seconds.  Or, if you don't like that (eg because the hub's hidden away and difficult to get to) then you can log in to the hub, go to  Admin>Reload and Reboot>Restore to factory defaults

If you want to log in to the hub after that, then you'll need to wait about 7 minutes for it come back on line, and then use the 8 digit numeric settings password that's on the base of the hub - don't make the not uncommon error of trying to log into the hub settings with the wifi password.  If you have previously had a custom wifi name or password, then when the hub has been reset you'll either need to connect each wifi device again, or go into the hub settings and change the password and if need be network name to the ones your devices use.

If as a result of all this you do want to choose a new password for either hub admin or wifi, then the three random words technique is easy, secure, and if you want can have a number or symbol mixed in.