cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has Virgin gotten so bad recently in my area?

andy440123
Joining in

I've been using virgin media for a good few years now. I live in Leeds in the LS12 area. Virgin has never been amazing I swapped from it to sky because I was swayed by the fibre optic speeds. Whilst I love the speed the consistency has always been a major problem. So many times I've had faults and service outages far more than any other ISP.

In the past few months it's gotten unbearable. I get constant outages or my service just grinds to a halt consistently now. The most common issue is intermittent internet. I will have broadband but it's basically unusable. The best way to describe it is it dropping out every few seconds for a short period then coming back on. For example if I run a cmd prompt and ping bbc.co.uk -t it will ping 10ms consistently about 10 times then give me a request timed out. This makes it impossible to do stuff like game because I will almost instantly be disconnected from any server.

It usually happens around 12am midnight (conveniently the only free time I get a lot of days) often weekend time but it can be any day any time. I call 450 from my phone to speak to virgin every time of the outage and get one of two automated messages.

1) There's an issue in my area it I won't have any broadband till X time in the morning. Not uncommon for me to get multiple of these "issues" every week. Most of the time the broadband returns in a few hours earlier than the stated time.

2) We're sorry your experiencing issues with your broadband, as its a complex issue its taking our engineers a while to fix it. This is the most common one. I can call every single day of the week and I get this same one every time. How many issues are there exactly in my area?!

And recently I've gotten a new one instead of anything it just asks me to input my password when I select I'm having broadband issues says their offices are closed and then just closes the line. It's like they've realised they can only say the same BS message about constant issues so much they're choosing now to give me nothing.

I've gone through all the troubleshooting 10million times, reset my hub, restart it each time I have issues. Nothing seems to work. It's just smooth sailing then it gets to the daily alloted time each day and I might as well not have any broadband at all.

Calling virgin is absolutely useless, after waiting for an hour+ I get transferred to some indian call centre that basically says the same thing. There was an issue in my area and it will be fixed by x day and time. I've heard the same thing so many times now. Once that issue is fixed im advised to turn off my hub and back on in 10 minutes and then it runs smoothly for half a day and the constant issues are back. I'm given no option for an engineer to get sent out to take a look so I just gotta assume this is what my normal service is going to be.

I'm almost lost looking for help at this point, the next time I call them will probably be to switch unless an engineer appears at my doorstip and magically fixes everything. I'd rather get half the speed I get now with sky/BT or someone else with service that is a 1000x more consistent than virgin. 

Has anyone else had issues like this that lives in my or nearby areas? 

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Nobody ever joined VM for their customer service!

In terms of tracking this down, I'd start off suggesting that you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  Click on the links to share a live graph and then post the link here (no screenshots, please).  Because it is a real time tracking, initially nothing will show up, but over the next 24 hours the chart will fill out, and we'll be able to see what's happening with your connection. 

Next up, paste this into your browser address bar:

That should bring up the hub's login page.  If the hub was never setup in the first place it will ask you to select you language and create a password and you'll have to log in.  Do that, logout, and connect to 192.168.0.1 again.  Then, without logging in, click Check router status.   That will produce a window with five tabs, all we need are Downstream, Upstream, Network log. Select the contents of each tab I've named there, copy the lot, and paste into separate replies here.  If you get a confusing "invalid HTML" message, just click "Post" again.  As with the BQM, don't paste images or screenshots, they cause a range of problems that I won't bore you with.  Because we don't want screenshots, copy and pasting will be easiest from a device with a keyboard, although it can be done from a phone or tablet with a certain amount of faff.

Thanks for your help

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/create/27d3ea932f547edcf1f0f3d54c1...

As of this afternoon a full 13 hours later the broadband is still bad. It's rare that it lasts this long

Using the fault check on the virgin site I get 

"

We have detected an issue that maybe affecting your broadband
What does this mean?

This issue is caused by interference on our network impacting multiple customers in your area.
This will cause intermittent speeds and performance may vary at different times.
Our Network teams are aware of this issue and further details on resolution will be available as soon as possible."

I will send the rest of the information later. 

@andy440123 wrote:

Thanks for your help

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/create/27d3ea932f547edcf1f0f3d54c1...

... snip ...

404 - Page Not Found

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and in the ‘text to display’ box write My BQM then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

tb49
On our wavelength

virgin wi-fi is total crap just like their customer relations

tb49
On our wavelength

total morons at virgin, cavemen could have done better

Tabassum44
Joining in

Worse wifi ever! Literally been having trouble since i have had virgin media wifi... worse thing is their call lines have a 1 hour wait then at 60 minutes of waiting the call just cuts off. 

cant get through to anyone.. absolutely fed up!😓

tb49
On our wavelength

Ditto mate, total load of [REMOVED] clowns, but unlike clowns you cant laugh at their stupidity, and as for virgin media community, what the "h" do they do as to issue's, i use the crap service as its the cheapest for my need's, that's besides gratification?, go well Virgin customers, as they dontgive a [REMOVED] for use.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

comnut
On our wavelength

If you do not like it, go elsewhere... what?? you got virgin due to bad promises from **** ???

this just in... there IS someone WORSE than virgin!!!!! 😮 😮

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/12418/uks-worst-broadband-provider-talktalk-plusnet-bt

would you have got it if there was an option for "superfast wifi for £200" ??? of course not!!! 🙂 🙂
that is the average price for ..
https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/us/best-wifi-routers,review-2498.html