cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't VM supply the Connect App as a direct APK download to customers?

spritley
Up to speed

Why doesn't VM supply the Connect App as a direct APK download to customers?

This would allow the use of old offline sim free phones to be used without a Google account?

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For Security reasons, being one.  APK's can be reassembled to contain Malware.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Adduxi wrote:

For Security reasons, being one.  APK's can be reassembled to contain Malware.

Why would a direct download from VM contain any malware over them uploading it to Google first , it's the exact same download?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Why would you want to use the Connect app with an offline phone?

The two things it's designed to do is allow Hub management when you're connected to your home WiFi and hotspots when you're connected to them when you're out and about?
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

@BenMcr wrote:
Why would you want to use the Connect app with an offline phone?

The two things it's designed to do is allow Hub management when you're connected to your home WiFi and hotspots when you're connected to them when you're out and about?

To connect too WiFi hotspots when old phones no longer have a Sim card without piddling about with Google accounts.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd think the number of people that have set up an Android device without a Google account and so have that scenario are rare enough that it's not worth the risks of offering a direct APK download.

And anyway Google are moving away from APKs pretty soon, so it would take more effort to offer a standalone APK than it does today for little benefit

https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/06/the-future-of-android-app-bundles-is.html

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own