Menu
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 21 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does the engineer get a higher broadband speed than my own test?

The Sony Vaio laptop with Win 8 is quite an old machine. It's very likely that its ethernet connection is only 10/100. That's the simple answer to the 90Mb/s speed.

0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 22 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does the engineer get a higher broadband speed than my own test?

I have actually seen a newer 11ac laptop that only had a 100 meg port.  Must have spent an hour if not more trying to figure out why the drivers wouldn't let me set a gigabit speed on wired.

Now that there' a "Virgin Media" SSID on Hub3 and Hub2ac then perhaps they are just testing over that connection?  It wouldn't surprise me if there is a hidden non-broadcasted SSID we cant see too.

I agree that them logging into the wifi to test speed is not a biggie, they are in a position of trust that they can abuse.  A lot of companies don't let support teams work in the areas they live in, to stop the techs who might abuse such things thinking about it.  It is what it is, tho I would also imagine that if they are logging onto your wifi they ask if they can do it first.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos