Menu
Thesaint1967
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Why does the engineer get a higher broadband speed than my own test?

I have the 200mb/s broadband package, but when I use a wired test it's never more than 70mb/s. The engineer came out yesterday and he got 200mb/s on a wifi connection.Albeit it was at 8am in the morning on a Sunday after the clocks went forward so most people were still in bed! I use a iPad 2 for a wifi signal and a Sony vain laptop running 8.1 windows for a wired with a cat 7 Ethernet cable. When I have rung virgin technical dept (offshore) they said its due to me not having Windows 10 or I needed to have an updated Ethernet cable as previously I was using a Cat 5 cable. I use the popular test app by ookla and this morning it came out at 43 it doesn't even have on the Internet test higher than 50mp/s on the test graphic. 

Can anyone suggest and I don't use a current mobile phone to test either

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does the engineer get a higher broadband speed than my own test?

you can't use WIFI to test anything as it's too unreliable.
ethernet tests are the only way to test.
is it possible your laptop is faulty? can you use a differnet device on ethernet to test?
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

There are many reasons why the laptop isn't receiving full speeds. Try testing this way first and see what it gets.
Check that the Sony has a gigabit enabled network card (not just 10/100) and has the up to date drivers - it might not as you are on W8. Use a new Cat5e/6a ethernet cable (your Cat7 should be fine) to connect it directly to the Hub - which you have put into modem mode (to ensure only your laptop is connected). Then, boot up your device into "safe mode with networking". This is to disable any software on it that could be limiting speeds (lots of examples of that on here) and run the test at "speedtest.net" on 2 different browsers one of which is a fresh download of one you haven’t previously used (e.g. Firefox, Opera, etc). There are several examples on here where a browser (usually Chrome) is corrupted in some way and limits speeds.
Report back what you get.

EDIT: forgot to add the iPad will get much better speeds when you connect it to the 5GHz network - mine gets ~220mbps close to the router but only 80-90mbps in the same place on the 2.4 network - what network is your iPad connecting too?  What Hub model do you have?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
is it possible your laptop is faulty? can you use a differnet device on ethernet to test?

i dont disagree in principal but the op posts this

The engineer came out yesterday and he got 200mb/s on a wifi connection.

Tony
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@chenks wrote:

i dont disagree in principal but the op posts this

The engineer came out yesterday and he got 200mb/s on a wifi connection.

which is fine, but on what WIFI device? and how many times was it tested?
and i'd be curious as the why an engineer would do any test via WIFI.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

WiFi will never be better than wired. If you have 200Mbps on WiFi your wired speed must be at least that.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

WiFi will never be better than wired. If you have 200Mbps on WiFi your wired speed must be at least that.

not entirely true. you could have 5GHz AC WIFI but a 10/100 ethernet port.
WIFI would well exceed ethernet in that situation.

Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

It's obviously the speed coming out of the hub which matters, and all the hub ports are gigabit.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

It's obviously the speed coming out of the hub which matters, and all the hub ports are gigabit.

yes but you've got a 10/100 device connected to the gigabit port then all you'll get is max 100Mbps.
so if you're running a speedtest then the testing device needs to support gigabit.

as i said, i'd be surprised if any engineer did a "speed test" using a WIFI device, so i'd be taking that part of the OPs post with a pinch of salt.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

yes but you've got a 10/100 device connected to the gigabit port then all you'll get is max 100Mbps.
so if you're running a speedtest then the testing device needs to support gigabit.

We don't have that problem with todays simple routers....having a NAT router with a device with a 100Mb link to the hub does not impact a device with a 1Gb link to the hub for the internet.

0 Kudos