cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does router show connected devices as only 100MBPS

crm2000uk
Tuning in

I have my router set up with a powerline connected and a mesh network. I tried to connect these two in modem mode but the unit wouldn't allow me to get an internet connection to both for some reason. I reset the modem and turned off wifi but didn't put it in modem mode this time round. I managed to get the powerline wired connect and the mesh network running with no issues. However the wired ethernet to the Powerline only states it is 100Mbps in "connected devices' when signed into the router. It is a AV600 TP LINK powerline adpater with capability up to 600Mbps. It is the brand new ethernet connected up that came with it, in slot 2 on the router. What is the issue here? I should be getting better wired speeds I pay for up to 200Mbps broad band but only gettin 90 ish through the powerline. Mesh gives me decent 150+ in prime areas over wifi.

Mesh is deco s2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@crm2000uk wrote:

I have my router set up with a powerline connected and a mesh network. <snip> What is the issue here? I should be getting better wired speeds I pay for up to 200Mbps broad band but only gettin 90 ish through the powerline. Mesh gives me decent 150+ in prime areas over wifi.

In modem mode, only one socket on the hub works to make a link to your own router.

Check the specs for the particular TP Link unit you have bought. Many of these seem to show the ethernet ports as 10/100 only.

I use a Netgear wired ethernet powerline unit (nominally AV 500 Up to 500 Mbps) with gigabit ports and the maximum that achieves under best conditions is 90 to 95 Mbps.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

g0akc
Problem sorter

Speed/performance of a Powerline adapter will depend on building wiring (layout, age, quality, topography).  Best to replace it with good Ethernet cable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@crm2000uk wrote:

I have my router set up with a powerline connected and a mesh network. <snip> What is the issue here? I should be getting better wired speeds I pay for up to 200Mbps broad band but only gettin 90 ish through the powerline. Mesh gives me decent 150+ in prime areas over wifi.

In modem mode, only one socket on the hub works to make a link to your own router.

Check the specs for the particular TP Link unit you have bought. Many of these seem to show the ethernet ports as 10/100 only.

I use a Netgear wired ethernet powerline unit (nominally AV 500 Up to 500 Mbps) with gigabit ports and the maximum that achieves under best conditions is 90 to 95 Mbps.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @crm2000uk,

Welcome to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see you have had issues with your Hub.

I located your account using your forums page and I can not see any known issues with your equipment or in-home network, are you still needing help with this?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Your powerline only has 100Mb port
---------------------------------------------------------------

My power line is 600mb supported so it must be the router. Does the router only have 1gbp port and the rest are capped at 100mbps?

Would my only option be to put virgin router in modem mode. Buy a better router with multiple gbp Ethernet ports, plug that into slot 1 in the virgin router then take my other bits (mesh & powerline) off that? 

@crm2000uk wrote:

My power line is 600mb supported so it must be the router. Does the router only have 1gbp port and the rest are capped at 100mbps?

Nope 600Mb mean nothing

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-pa4022p-kit/v4/#specifications

---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

PLA's are all advertising spin.  If you need full speed nothing beats a solid wired connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So is 600mb the potential speed it can take in and output as wifi but the Ethernet is limited to 10/100mbps on that model? What is the 600mb in reference to if not that or the speed that It can offer over the powerline connection? Thanks!