cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does netflix think im using vpn

Nic88
Tuning in

Netflix will not work correctly and they are saying it is due to using proxy server or VPN. I haven't changed anything with the broadband today so unsure why this has happened? Could anyone advise please 

46 REPLIES 46

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @hatay,

Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with Netflix. If this issue is impacting your Netflix experience on all devices, we would advise you contact Netflix directly to see if this is a known issue.

Are you getting the same error when you access Netflix on your mobile device via Mobile Data? 

Please let us know so we can see what we can do to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Same problems here as anyone found a fix please

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Popey85, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on the Community. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues when using Netflix. 

Are you having this problem when accessing the service from all devices or one in particular? 

Thanks, 

Nat

makwad
On our wavelength

Hi, I am on Hub 5 and this seems to be happening to me quite a bit like every couple of weeks and takes a few days to resolve itself. I've tried Netflix (via Sky and Firestick and mobile) on the Wifi as well as ethernet and have the same issue (thinking Im on a VPN and only showing original content). If I switch to 4G on my mobile - Netflix is fine. really annoying and never had this issue on the Hub 3.

Hey thee @makwad, thanks for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the Hub 5 and the connectivity.
May I ask if you've been able to do a pin hole reset on the Virgin Media Hub 5? (Pop a pin in the reset pin hole for 40 seconds found at the back of the hub).

Let us know how it goes and we can go on from there.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

A reset is not going to help but by all means prove me wrong! As to why a reset will not help your still get the same WAN IP that Netflix is blocking because someone who had that IP used a VPN to get extra stuff then changed back and too with and without a VPN and Netflix blocks the IP.

---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

A reset is not going to help but by all means prove me wrong! As to why a reset will not help your still get the same WAN IP that Netflix is blocking because someone who had that IP used a VPN to get extra stuff then changed back and too with and without a VPN and Netflix blocks the IP.

So if you use a VPN through Netflix to say get USA content and Netflix catch on to this they will then block your own IP when you come back to normal viewing? Interesting

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Hi. I'm not using a VPN and it's not permanently blocked. I've turned the router off/on with no resolution but I will try a reset next time it happens and report back. THX

Hey there @makwad, thanks for reaching out to us.

May I ask if the advice given has worked?
Let us know 🙂

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

makwad
On our wavelength

Hello. Will try next time it happens. OK at moment. Thx